A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Backlinks, Making a horse video, and Horse websites

Ok, so it's not raining today, but wow is it gross out. 80 degrees and pretty much a fishbowl for humidity. The type of weather that makes it hard to breathe, hard to move, and makes me just want to sit inside. Ironically, I actually LIKE hot weather. But, hot and dry is good.... warm and humid is evil!

So, continuing on this weeks theme, I'm still working on the web page. Yeah, still working. So far I have learned how to make youtube videos. In doing so, I also learned a few things about videoing my horses! First off, background matters. Oh, it matters a LOT! Secondly, when taping a horse at liberty make sure you get good LONG sections of footage. It's much easier to cut down long sections then it is to piece together short ones. And lastly, HOW to get that pretty horsey movement. You really need someone to shoot video, and then at a bare minimum of one, better to have more, people to help keep the horse moving. And not just anyone, you need people that can see the gaits, and push the horse just enough to go forward, with out bolting into "see ma, I can run fast" mode.

So, here's my second horsey video attempt. Well, actually it's my third. My second attempt was the same footage, but I naturally wanted to use the Prince song, Little Red Corvette, as that's the horse's name. Unfortunately, youtube has some limits to the music allowed due to copyright reasons. Totally makes sense, but I was silly and didn't think of that when starting the project. So I have a super cute video of this with different music, but it didn't fit well with the new song. And yeah, I chose the song because it came up on "I feel lucky" on youtube's options.

More Pictures on my website

Ok, so after all that, and then the stuff from the last post, I began learning how to get my web page noticed! Not easy, lemme tell ya. See, first off age is a factor. Well, my webpage is new, so one strike against me. Boo.

Secondly, I need to have backlinks. Back links are other people who link to your site. Either from blogs, or directories, or from other real websites. The more visits a page has, the more it counts to the importance in Google. I'm not even thinking about Bing yet. Oh my. Bing won't even realize my site exists for a few months.

So, because I'm an ethical person at heart, I don't want to use some of the cheesy tactics to get my website listed. I prefer the proper ways, even if it is a bit slower. I have been trying to list my site on forums, if and only if the conversation warrants it. I have also been trying to list it with proper directories, such as encompassing directories, and horsey focused directories. You know, those places that have lists of breeders, often sorted by area? Yeah. So each one needs a registration, and then I have to submit my link, and then I have to verify everything.

But wait, there's MORE. If you get links too fast, Google penalizes you! Ok, so it looks like that means buying links by the hundreds, but it's a good excuse for me to not fill out a bajillion forms every day. My poor hands are tired, and I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome. No really! Ok, it's not from typing, it's from use of a lunge whip in training, and it's only my left hand (had a previous old injury there) but it acts like carpal tunnel.

On a sad note, I think I lost one of my kitties. Persephone (Per-Sef-O-Nee)was my feed store kitty. She's a lovely medium haired tortoise shell with interesting markings. She hates me, she has constant UTIs, but she loves J. At the same time, J decided to take the last unwanted kitty from the feed store litter, and picker up Edgar. Edgar is a monster cat. No, really, he's probably 18 pounds, a bit of fat there, and easily stands 3 inches taller then my next biggest cat. Edgar has punctures all over him, like he was scrapping with something. I'm worried that means that my neighborhood hawk grabbed Sephers. No way could a bird pick up Edgar, but Sephers was a little thing. She had only recently decided to become an outdoor cat, and I let her because eating the grass helped her constant UTI issues. I keep hoping she comes home, and keep hoping she just got stuck outside in the rain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment