A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Slow Sundays

My day off!  YAY!

So, Katy seems to be doing a LOT better today.  I removed the wrap, and while she's still "off" she's able to stand on it.  Her poor leg was soaked with sweat from the wraps, and collecting dirt and grime, so I'm letting it air out.

She's in the paddock with Velvet.  I wanted to keep Velvet up, so she gets more interaction, as she seems to thrive on it.  This is why I am slimming down my herd.  With only Jae and I doing the majority of the horse stuff now, I have WAY too many horses to pay attention to.  I hate feeling like horses are getting ignored, so I hope to find them good homes where they will be pampered.

When I fed today, I noticed just how similar Velvet and Katy's coloring is.  Not much else, but their color, since Katy is a Sugarbush Draft, and Velvet is an Appaloosa with Arab ancestry. 
Look at the difference in the size of their legs!  It makes me giggle.  Velvet spotted me, and thought that meant scratches.  Of course she walked over and I obliged... I am well trained after all!

It's Katy's front left that is the problem.  See how she's holding it forward, and not putting all her weight on it?  Only a few days ago it was obviously swollen, and she was carrying it when it wasn't wrapped.  Today, she's allowed a bit of "outside time".  It seems to keep her calmer and happier.  She's with Velvet since Katy is the more dominant horse, but also a co-dependant horse.  Katy would run the fenceline if she didn't have another horse with her.

As for Rover, he's back on pasture.  Vet said it's nothing obvious, and to give him some time off.  If he's not sound next week, we'll pull radiographs, and look for a deeper problem.  Since I just dropped a chunk of change on Katy, I have no problem with waiting a bit before breaking the bank again.

Rover seems sound at a walk and canter, but can't maintain rhythm at the trot, even when he's just out in the pasture.  He has a lump on his leg, as if he stepped on himself, or someone else did it for him, and we think that is the cause of his lameness.  Weird though how he was sound at the start of the ride, then came up lame part way though.

So now, I'm putting off doing laundry and cleaning house.  I would MUCH rather be mucking stalls!  Sadly, I only have one horse in the barn, so it didn't take me long to clean up today.  Ah well, I can't play outside every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment