A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, June 7, 2010

And another update on my girl

Station is holding her own right now.  Body temp is staying normal, or slightly lower (since she's been wet most of the day).  Between 99.7 and 100.3  Totally acceptable.

Gave her electrolytes, as per vet directions have been offering her as much watered down mush as she'll take in.  She has no real interest in plain ol' water, but she needs to rehydrate.  So watered feed and electrolyte water (Basically gatoraid).

She really likes it when I hand feed her the mush.  She gets all lovey dovey and just keeps eating as long as I'm petting her.  She's exhausted though.  I am checking her every hour now (down from every half hour) and most times I catch her completely passed out.  Flat out on her side.  She gets up as soon as Q calls to me though.

I just put her in the long pen, a paddock that is about 1/4 acre.  There's a lovely cool breeze blowing, and it's so much nicer out there then in the barn.  She came out and laid down, so I checked gut sounds again.  They were decreased.  I got her up and made her "lunge"  basically walk in a circle, with a small amount of trot.  It was good that I trusted my gut, because she had a nice poo, and felt SO much better for it.  Definately a secondary impaction.

More pain meds at midnight.  She has access to cool water, cool gatoraid, watered horse mush.... I think she's as set up as a horse can be.  Looks like she's over the worst of it.  I still have to worry about the almost colic thing she's doing from being so dehydrated.  My vet and my back up vet are on stand by (Since Dr. G is out of town, and Dr. O doesn't have everything she needs.  So Dr. H was notified that it's possible I'll be calling, and updated on what Dr. O prescribed).

I'm sure I'm rambling, but it's ok.  At least I have it all documented!  I really worry about the babies when they get sick, even the 17 year old babies.  Evidently, heat stress has been pretty common this weekend.  Dr. O told me she's has 3 horses to treat with it, plus mine.  She also told me she didn't want to see me, because I was already doing everything she'd do, and she was over booked.

On the BIG upside, Station is almost re-hydrated.  The pinch test is close to normal.  If she's still up and acting normal at her next check, I'm putting Ash in the paddock with her.  Ash and Station have become the best of buddies.  Maybe it's because they are both old white mares?  Well, Ash is grey, Station is a red appy roaned Snowcap, but you get the idea!

I'm hoping this is my last update on her.  The idea is that from here on out, she'll be back to normal.  I can hope, right?

1 comment:

  1. Well no matter what happens, you can't kick yourself as you're doing everything right by her. How can she not get better and continue to improve? :)

    It was 100 degrees today. Typically the only time that Apache hangs out in the barn in her stall is when she's eating. I looked up in the pasture several times today and saw her half asleep in her stall, though.
    She could just find one of several trees out in the pasture to hang out under, but even under a tree, the sun's heat can hit the ground nearby and bounce back into the shady areas.

    Apache is def. not a barn horse, but she sure seems to be appreciating this week. I can't wait until these abnormally hot temps drop up here. We don't even have A/C because our temps rarely ever go up past the mid 80s' all summer long.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete