A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Because the Best Information is from Real People

Since "common sense" isn't all that common, and "traditional wisdom" so often seems outdated, I figured I'd ask here.  Where do you learn about wonderful horses for sale? 

I'm hoping to use this information to help target areas for advertising the breed we have.  So many people just don't know that the Sugarbush Draft Horse even exists!  For many that do, it's assumed to be a "designer breed". 

I can't really answer this question, as I was always a research dork.  I saw a draft horse once, and then spent weeks in the library looking up all the draft horse breeds, where they came from, and everything about them that I could learn.  I had a lot of years to shove all things horsey into my mind, while doodling ponies in the margins of my homework, and daydreaming of owning my own horse.  I was so horse crazy, that I even spent most of my college applying my genetics studies to the horses!  Needless to say, I tend to be out of place when outside the barn.


And my parents thought I'd outgrow this!  Ha, I showed them!



My goal isn't really to get sales (I know, crazy thought for someone in my line of work) but instead to get people aware that this breed even exists.  So, I thought, who better to ask, then other horse people!  Where should I target the advertising? 

I figure, if people are looking for a horse, then they will be more open to learning about a new breed.  Am I wrong?  Did most of you have your heart set on your breed before you bought, or were you looking for specific qualities regardless of breed?  


So what do you find catches your eye the most?  Let me know what you think, and check out the poll on the left side.

6 comments:

  1. I have American Curly horses for their disposition and curls, I love Shires as well.
    It's always personality that I desire although using the Curly fiber to spin, knit and weave with is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Curlies, they are so cool looking.

    How do you judge temperment? I mean, EVERYone says that they have quiet, calm, sweet, social... basically all breed rhetoric is that their breed is perfect. (Because we all love our breed).

    Do you go by your own experiences, or with refernces from friends? Breed advertising?

    And thanks for the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Curlies, they are so cool looking.

    How do you judge temperment? I mean, EVERYone says that they have quiet, calm, sweet, social... basically all breed rhetoric is that their breed is perfect. (Because we all love our breed).

    Do you go by your own experiences, or with refernces from friends? Breed advertising?

    And thanks for the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have American Curly horses for their disposition and curls, I love Shires as well.
    It's always personality that I desire although using the Curly fiber to spin, knit and weave with is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll likely never read this as it is so far back in your directory (I like to start from the beginning and read it all when getting into a blog and am loving this so far). I have a small suggestion to simply get the breed known, that is join a few horse themed games. The one I play is called Howrse, its free and easy and full of horses obsessed people. Now, obviously the Sugar Bush Draft isn't on there as a breed to play with however they do have some rare ones such as the Teke, Marwari, Knabstrupper and most recently the Curly. Join the game, you have a 'page' to put stuff about yourself. Write about your breeding project and about the breed. People who see your page will inadvertently learn about the breed. Who knows, it may lead to banners of 'Bring the Sugar Bush Draft to Howrse!' which would only make it that much more known. Its a long shot but you'll get the breed more known. Good luck with the breeding, I hope to read more about the breed in the 2 long years of postings to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6.  Actually, I get notices each time someone posts, so I always come read what people have to say.  This is a great idea!  Thanks so much for it (and I know a few others to recruit to do it as well).

    ReplyDelete