A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Did the stars all just align or something?


The farm's been jumping lately.  Heather, Rose's new owner, is negotiating to buy O.  This means that she will have the last Sugarbush breeding stallion.... until one of my new foals hits the ground!

I have come to the decision that I need to geld some boys, but I don't think it was the 2 I had planned!  Streak, er I mean "O Stop Looking" is homozygous.  He's a match to 2 of my mares.  I'm going to give him a chance, and instead, I'm definitely gelding Rico, and might be gelding Zire.  I have a second Appaloosa stallion.  There are too many hormones here, and while all ARE stallion quality, a good stallion makes a great gelding!  I just don't know who all is going under the knife yet.

Had a wonderful chat with Heather yesterday about the breed's future, how we can work together to get there, and how dedicated she is to this breed.  I have always had a problem with seeing where I'm going, because of O.  He needs to be a stallion, he needs to be producing (he's just lovely all over) and he's a great horse.  Heather will also keep him at stud, both public and privately, allowing his genes to get used.  That will free up space and genetic lines for me to keep going forward.  Another one of those wins for every one involved.  Her, me, and the breed.

Don't you just love it when things work out well?

That's not all of my great news, but the rest isn't mine to share.  Just trust me that opening my email has become something I really look forward to this week!  Don't you just love it when everything just seems to fall into place?

Now, all I need is a bit of rain.  Not gonna happen in Texas in the summer, but hey, a girl can hope, right?

5 comments:

  1. In good time. I'm on blogger time right now, not real time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hear ya. We could sure use some rain, too. It hasn't rained here since last summer. Everything is dry and dusty. Makes me want to do some kind of rain dance ceremony. lol!

    Sounds like lots of great horse-related things are happening around there.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes 'Mam! When my hubby says "go get it if it means that much to you" I go get it! We hope to share our love for these guy with everyone and once we get them out there, everyone will be asking "What kind of horse is that?" And there we go, it's our chance to tell them all!

    And yes, please!!! Send some rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just happy that you love the breed as much as I do, and that your husband is as much of a sucker as most of ours are! I mean, it makes it really easy when the better half is supportive.

    And congratulations on your show weekend! Not much longer now, and you'll have to add more ribbons to that for O!

    -Heather-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes 'Mam! When my hubby says "go get it if it means that much to you" I go get it! We hope to share our love for these guy with everyone and once we get them out there, everyone will be asking "What kind of horse is that?" And there we go, it's our chance to tell them all!

    And yes, please!!! Send some rain!!!

    ReplyDelete