A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Dog days

It's officially the dog days of summer.......

No, really!

That is Suzie, my 9 year old Rottie.  She is hunting frogs.  She loves hunting frogs.  It makes her life complete.  If I let her, she sneaks off to hunt frogs, leaving me searching all over for her.

Suzie doesn't harm the frogs you see, she just swims around, chasing them, diving after them, and making herself into a wet stinky mess.  She loves this!  And unfortunately (for me) the lip of the pond makes it almost impossible to see her from the barn.  I can't tell you how many times I have turned into a panicky mother thinking my dog has drowned.  I should know better by now, especially since Suzie is one of those dogs that enjoys diving under water.

To her, this is a good day's work.  If by some freak chance, she happens to actually CATCH a frog, she has no idea what to do with it, and will usually nose it, begging for it to hop again.  The fun is in the chase after all. 


While I was trying to catch the above picture, I ended up with a helper.....

That is about all I could see through my lens when I turned around.  Attached to that lovely blue eye is a face with the expression of, "Wha?  I'm just HELPIN'!"  Yes, that's Streaker.

He's shedding, he itches all over, and he knows that humans are great for scratching.  Sadly, he also made the mistake of thinking that I was great for scratching back.  The baby got a spanking.  Not that it phased him much at all, he took one step away, then was right back begging for love.

Of course, as I tried to walk back into the house, he proceed to show me that he likes the new fence too....

And yes, that IS paint on him.  Evidently, he made sure to test all the new posts to see which was wet, and then rubbed himself all over them.  It's asphalt paint, it's not coming out until he sheds that baby fur.  Thank goodness he's already started.

Yeah, but he also left a whole lot of that white hair all over those freshly painted black posts.  I wish I could figure out a way to paint the fence with out painting the horses too.

5 comments:

  1. I love that closeup of Streak's eye, and the way he turns into Foal of the Damned when the light hits his eyes just right. That's one downside of blue eyes, I guess. Can't wait to see him tomorrow. I haven't really been close to him in prolly a month.

    I'm really excited about riding tomorrow. I'm bringing both horses, but I'd like at least a little time in the arena by myself with you on the ground to help me interpret what he's saying. That, and to correct my sucky riding. Kris offered to be on Jaz, but that would be beside the point. He's always fine when he had his security blanket. She can ride him, but I want to push Poco and myself.

    They upped tomorrow's heat index to 108F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Streak's a challenge to photograph, that's for sure. I think the biggest challenge is that he's always in my face!

    I'm up for taking all the time you need. The heat isn't going to bother me, since I'm pretty used to it. And it'll definitely slow down Poco!

    I'm also trying to talk Jae into riding with us =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love drafts too, just sweet big goobs :)


    Your baby is sweet, some people will pay extra for a paint horse. ha ha. ( okay that was bad)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me "ha!" loud enough for my better half to look at me strange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Streak's a challenge to photograph, that's for sure. I think the biggest challenge is that he's always in my face!

    I'm up for taking all the time you need. The heat isn't going to bother me, since I'm pretty used to it. And it'll definitely slow down Poco!

    I'm also trying to talk Jae into riding with us =)

    ReplyDelete