A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, June 11, 2010

I think Rose has found the perfect home

This is Rose.  She is a lovely horse!  She's also one of the few remaining Sugarbush Draft Horses that is not directly related to "O".  In other words, she's invaluable for helping the breed to go forward.

She's for sale.  I have always hoped that the right person would come along that fell in love with her, and would fall in love with the breed as well.  Truth be told, the Sugarbush breed needs breeders!

I have always had this image in my head of the perfect family for Rose.  Active people who love horses, want to spoil her rotten, and have interest in getting her out there (local play days, driving, or what ever) and have a few foals out of her to further the breed.  Well, yesterday I got in touch with a woman who fits that dream!  Today she came to meet Rose.

She is everything I had hoped for.  Some one that likes the smaller drafts (that means 16 hands and around 1600 pounds) is excited about helping the breed work toward the future, and is not a flake!  She is also fine with the fact that I had not yet gotten Rose under saddle.  Rose will be visiting a trainer, and not only will she be a brood mare, but she will also be a loved and used family pet.  I mean really, how much better does it get then that?

And Rose really liked her.  Now Rose isn't the mushy gushy type of horse.  She's a draft after all.  But Rose kept leaning her head out to sniff this woman's face and hair, and kept hovering around her.  It was very obvious that Rose was smitten.  I like to see that.  Granted, it doesn't always happen like that, but these 2 are just meant to be together.  Now, I just have to make sure that someone that appears so perfect for her isn't really a closet horse weirdo (I mean a bad weirdo, not a good one like most horse people).  

I'm always a bit sad to see the horses go, and at the same time, I'm always excited when the horse finds the right home for it. Granted, I won't sell the horses into a home I don't feel fits, and always offer a home for the horse for the rest of its life.  I'm just so happy right now though, because if I could have hand crafted Rose's person, she would have been just like the woman I met today.

And of course, I'm ALWAYS happy when people want to become involved in the future of this breed.  I don't like how close the breed is to extinction, and I really believe in these horses.  To find someone else that is excited about the breed as well as the individual horse.... that just made my week.

Looks like I have a couple of weeks left with Rose.  She will be bred to O for a 2011 foal, if all goes well.  It is a bit late in the year for breeding, and there's always the chance that the heat has taken it's toll on O's, um, productivity.

AND, if Rose has a colt, which she's due for, they intend to keep him as a stallion, adding another intact male to the breed!  All of the foals from this cross have been amazing, so I'm not worried about quality of the colt. 

Ever have one of those days where you feel like the stars have aligned?  I think I'm having one today.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you celebrated last night. Haven't decided what I'm going to do today besides get the Boyz' feet done. I may stay inside and do chores. But I WILL be up tomorrow.

    Must remember eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I've not heard of the Sugarbush Draft before. I love drafts and I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks OUaE. I am in love with this breed, and I think that every one else should be too. Such a shame that so few people even know it exists, when it's only one of a handful of draft breed that are truly American.

    Most draft horses are European. A similar horse, called the Noriker, is only really seen in Austria (a handful are outside of Austria) and it's amazing that the Sugarbush looks SO much like the Noriker, but doesn't share any of the same genetics. Everett Smith managed to do that same thing within one lifetime, that took centuries with the Noriker.

    Er, sorry for dorking out there. Although I will gladly admit that I am a true horse dork!

    And yes Leah, I celebrated. I sat down, took the evening off, and had a nice coffee while enjoying the AC. Ahhhh. I did intend to watch Alice in Wonderland, but was too lazy to do that! Now that's what I call being relaxed.

    ReplyDelete