A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My crazy week

Last week has been a bit weird.  Not necessarily all in a bad way.  My mother calls to tell me that she found 4 mules.  Yes, found.  Evidently they were running along the road in front of the house she's staying at, and in an attempt to keep them off the roads, she and about 6 other nice people ran them into the pastures.  She has been mule sitting all weekend.

Now, there's aren't just any mules, these are NICE mules.  It appears to be a matched pair, and 2 younger mules.  All are gentle, social, and easy to work around.  No clue where they came from.  Animal control asked if she could keep them through the weekend, then on Monday said that they were having trouble finding a way to move them.  They are supposed to be picked up today.  I can't believe that such a nice group of mules - who had their feet recently trimmed, manes and tails seemed to have been cared for, and were well fed - have not been claimed yet!

Then there was rain last night.  Just enough to matter.  Ok, not too weird, but it is Texas in the summer... rain when we need it, and as much as we need....that's kinda weird.

And other good things:  I received an email from someone who runs a website on LP drafts.  There are many wonderful links on that website to others who are involved in the same, or similar breeding as I am.   Many I knew of, but some are new to me.  What a wonderful resource!  I will be parusing that a lot in the future I'm sure.

Of course, it can't all be good news.  My aunt, who I am not close with, and haven't even seen in years, was diagnosed with cancer a while back.  She was in remission, but her cancer came back with a vengeance.  This is my mother's oldest sister.  She has decided to refuse all treatment, and has entered hospice care.  Mom is of course devastated.  Jae and I will be covering my mother's responsibilities here.  If my posts become infrequent, this is why.

2 comments:

  1. What a strange surprise about the mules. I've always loved mules and have secretly wished to have one of my own. Maybe one day my dreams will come true. I fell in love with a handsome little mule being ridden by a safety rider in last weekend's ACTHA ride. His name was Murphy and I just wanted to hug him and feed him carrots all day (I actually did! lol!).


    Awww, so sorry about your Aunt. I can see why she might give up treatment. It's often worse than the cancer itself. Prayers said for her tonight. Amen.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a strange surprise about the mules. I've always loved mules and have secretly wished to have one of my own. Maybe one day my dreams will come true. I fell in love with a handsome little mule being ridden by a safety rider in last weekend's ACTHA ride. His name was Murphy and I just wanted to hug him and feed him carrots all day (I actually did! lol!).


    Awww, so sorry about your Aunt. I can see why she might give up treatment. It's often worse than the cancer itself. Prayers said for her tonight. Amen.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete