A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

O has a date!

He has a date with a trainer!  I'm very excited.  Heather, who just purchased Rose, sent me a recomendation for a trainer.  Interestingly, her name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it.  Figured it was just a "normal type" name... like Joe Smith, something that always sounds like you've heard it before.  Nope....I had other references to her as well.  Well, can't top that!

Had to call Wendy as a reference anyway (yes, I check references on my sales) and since Heather really IS as great as she sounds (no big head Heather, if you're reading this) I got talking to her about training, and if she would take on a draft stallion.

I love this picture because it shows how big he really is.  Not huge, but larger then the average pony.  Mom hates it... not flattering to her, but I'm sure no one will be looking at her.

See, I've been trying to get O into a trainer for a while.  I think about a year now.  I call, and they don't do stallions, don't do drafts, or don't do draft stallions.  Eesh.  I found one that would, but fate stepped in.  This happened, that happened... I even had O loaded in the trailer ready to go, and the truck began to act up!  Ok, at this point my spidey senses are saying, maybe I should just give up on this idea.  You know how sometimes things happen for a reason?

Well, I'm a bit strange that way.  I met Jae, and at the end of my visit, a bunch of coincidences happened that ended up with him moving to Texas... and here we are.  Jae's the best thing to happen to me, and is horrible about my addiction to horses.  He's also the one that pushed us into the Sugarbush horses, when my logic was saying "I don't know about this as a business idea".

So, when the stars aligned and I ended up with so many problems trying to get in with that trainer, I finally decided that the stars aligned just right to SCREAM at me.  Or something.

Then, Heather comes along... in a twist of coincidences she and I met, she's as excited about the horses as I am, and she gives me a referral to a trainer that I have referrals for.  Wendy sounds great, and I made a date for O... July 10th.

Now that Rose will be trained by Heather, and O will be seeing a pro (well, I think Wendy will be doing most of the training on both) I just feel like I'm going to have so much more time to devote to the younger horses!  Happy days!  I'm also just thrilled to see a new breeder in the registry.  These horses are so amazing, and the more of us working together, the better the breed will be.

I also broke out the books, and have started planning for the future.  I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing yet, but I do have a vision.... I want to get the leopard gene back in the breed.  We need another Harley Quinne!

Maybe another of these?  Ok, Rico is Scorch's full brother, so not enough draft, but a loud Sugarbush colt or filly would be great!  I have a few ideas on breedings, I'm tossing them around.  I'm trying to keep my numbers a bit smaller so that I can deal with the horses alone incase my "help" can't help, but at the same time, I'm looking to the future of the breed.

I can't wait to have O truly under saddle.  I can't wait to ride him.  I am very excited about someone that is competent and comfortable with drafts giving him a good start.  I have always felt like working with him is just a bit of a reach for my abilities, and this is the perfect solution.  He is so lovely, and I bet he will be simply stunning under saddle.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got some exciting plans!

    I hope they all work out well :)


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I'm very excited about how things are going right now. I have to admit, I'm also excited that I'll have more time to devote to the rest of the younger horses for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an old pic of O. His tail is long and thick now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've got some exciting plans!

    I hope they all work out well :)


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete