A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rain Rain Come to play!

With tropical storm Alex in the Gulf of Mexico, there is some lovely rain moving up into north Texas.  Sadly, if you look at the weather map, you'll see a hole in the middle of all that rain....

Yes, that's me.  This is what has been happening all weekend.  The rain goes north, south, east AND west of me.  And I'm left with dry parched grass.

Now, the irony here is that normally, when it rains, I get it.  My pastures often are lush and lovely late into summer.  Not this year.  My grasses are dry, brittle and whimpy, and the horses tell me that they don't like it.

I wonder if a rain dance would help?  Although my neighbors would probably think I'd finally gone round the bend.  I'm willing to water my grass... wash the truck...but those never work for me.  Might be because my truck is always dirty, and I wouldn't really notice if it was clean.

Maybe I should go climb on the greenest spookiest horse, and try to get in a ride.  As soon as the rain sweeps over, she'd flip out, planting me in the mud (because that's just so much more ugly then dirt) and I could rest easy knowing that my pastures are watered?

Yeah, I'm getting a bit desperate... can you tell?

5 comments:

  1. We got some rain, and I hope it was enough to give the grass a break. This place is BARE NAKED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had the same thing - rain storms that completely miss us including hurricane force winds in Philadelphia, about 35 miles southwest. I hope the raindance works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same story here. In fact, there are storm clouds looming on the horizon. My neighbor suggested that I saddle up with my best leather saddle and get out on the trail, getting at least 2 miles from here....so that the rain would come! I may have to take him up on the dare. It would be worth it. We are so, so dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had the same thing - rain storms that completely miss us including hurricane force winds in Philadelphia, about 35 miles southwest. I hope the raindance works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got some rain, and I hope it was enough to give the grass a break. This place is BARE NAKED!

    ReplyDelete