A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Some good, some bad, and not much sleep

First, the good news.  Station appears to be doing MUCH better.  First off, a big thank you to Leah and Kris for selflessly offering to help.  I had more then enough help, and too tightly wound nerves to sleep myself.  But thank you regardless for the offer.  I also had mom, dad and Jae to lend hands as needed.  It's always nice to know that if I need it, there are extra hands during an emergency.  Thank you both so much for the offers.

I'm not sure what made the big change, but some time around 3am, Station just got better.  Not perfect, and not all the way back to normal, but a remarkable improvement.  She stopped laying flat out for long periods of time (it was scary looking, a few times I swore she was dead).  When I took her out of her stall to check her vitals, she was annoying.  She didn't want to stand, she wanted to go graze the yard, or sniff Q, the stallion that she's known all of her life, and who was stalled across the hall from her.

Now, Station is not normally the type to behave like this, but I was not about to complain about her showing an interest in anything.  Her temp was normal all night, varying from 100.3 to 100.6.  That's a range I could live with.  Her gums are good, all day long today her guts have been normal, but she is very sore and tired from the ordeal. 

The bad:  When I went out to check on Station at 7am, laying there in my drive way was one of my first chickens.  An old red hen (Rhode Island Red), dead.  Not a mark on her, and she was fine at 4am, so some where in those 3 hours, something happened.  I'm not sure how long chickens live, but she was about 5 years old.  I really like my chickens.  I really like their eggs too.  I don't name them, because every chicken I have ever named has been discovered by the dogs.  Sadly, dogs and chickens don't always mix. 

And the ulgy:  My parents are putting a house on the property.  They purchased a lovely pre-made home, I don't know what they are called.  One of those kit home things.  Well, of course, after an all nighter with the horse, the house showed up today.  It's beautiful!  Granted, the rest of the installation starts tomorrow (supposedly). 

And not ugly:  After helping out all day yesterday, my parents returned to the house they are sitting, to find their horses covered in masses of agressive deer flies.  I do mean covered.  So the 3 yearlings and my mother's 20 year old mare returned home.  The girls are back in the pasture with their mothers, and Keeley is babysitting Station.  Keeley has foundered in the past, and is very prone to repeats, so she can not be left loose on the pasture.

And just to keep it interesting, the boys destroyed their temporary paddock.  Currently there is a house in what will be the stallion pen, so the boys ("O" the Sugarbush Stallion, Scorch a 3 year old Stonewall Sport Horse colt, Zire a 2 year old Appaloosa colt, and Rico, Scorch's yearling baby brother) are living in the soon to be parking area.

Yeah, remember how I said we have a lot of work left to do?  So there was a section of "junk" that came with the property.  It was useful things, like a set of stocks, and other assorted stuff that we plan to recycle.  We paneled it off using round pen panels, and for a while it wasn't a problem, just an eye sore.  Well, when I went to check on Station, I found a panel across the paddock, another pannel ripped in half, and boys trying to check out the "cool toys".  *sigh*  Thank goodness there wasn't a mark on them!  No clue what happened, but Jae spent an hour cleaning it up, before I convinced him that we should just stall the boys for the night, and finish in the morning.

I think that was more then enough for one day.  Hopefully a return to my regularly scheduled programming tomorrow. 


  1. Maybe it's time for another passel of chicks from the feed store? It's early enough that they'd be okay for winter.

    Glad Station is okay, but what got into those boys? Maybe this is your sign that the plan to geld Rico and Streak pretty soon is the right thing to do. Less "youthful exuberance"...

    Can't wait to see the house. How soon until you guys can move into the black house, because I know you have to disconnect the power to the mobile?

    Jon is supposed to be here early Saturday so the rest of the day will be spent at your place. Hope the weather holds, though we do need rain.

  2. Well, after Jon leaves your place, he'll be at mine! But I'm sure we can squeeze in a lesson for you while he works if you'd like.

    Chicks... hmm...I still have 12, but I really want some weird breeds. I know, I'm nuts. I keep thinking that a rooster might be the best idea, since I sadly have a high attrition rate.

    The house is HUGE. I was truly shocked. I didn't expect a beast of a thing, especially since it's built in factory and shipped over (so I expected something more mobile home like in width). They still have a lot to do on site (like much of the mudding and taping, not to mention putting it on the foundation). I'm just tickled that the ugly mobile will be going.

    As for our house, I'm not sure. Jae and I want the fences done before the black house (you know, horses first!) and he also doesn't really need to be working inside during the hot time of year, until there's an AC in there. We're hoping by the end of the year - but we've said that before!

    I'm thinking about 2 weeks and then Rico and Streaker will get the big vet visit. Rain all this week (YAY! it's raining NOW). and then there's the wait for the mud to go away. After that, it'll be snip snip for them!