A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

UPS makes me a crazy woman

I have been expecting a letter delivered, with a signature required.  No big deal, right?  I mean, I work where I live.

Evidently this is a big deal, and I also have the worst timing ever!

Monday, the day the letter was supposed to arrive, I booked it out to feed, and returned to a post it note saying they had missed me.  GAH!  *headdesk*  Ok, no problem, I'll just wait around on Tuesday, until they show up.

Tuesday morning (today)... 8am...9am...10am.... I can't wait longer!  Run out, throw feed, fill water, decide Jae can finish the hay while I go back to wait... and there drives the UPS guy.  GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I must be cursed.  Called the UPS office, thinking, ok, I'll just see if I can get an idea of when they will come tomorrow.  No biggie.  The woman on the other end of the phone says, "well, it looks like they should be out sometime between 11am and 8pm."  Yep, thanks.  That really narrows it down!

I asked about leaving a contact number.  Could I have a note for the driver to honk?  Nope.  They don't do that.  BUT, if I miss them tomorrow, I can call to pick it up.... an hour away!  Murphy's Law.

Lucky for me, I have to be in Denton tomorrow anyway, so if that happens, it will all work out.  Jae says I'm the luckiest person he knows.  (He also asked when I'll win the lotto.... but I have to remember to start playing first.)

Although, there's nothing as classy as I was this morning.  Running across the pasture, in flip flops, screaming and waving at the driver, trying to make it before he drove away, with about 3 fences between me and him.  I spooked at least 4 horses in my efforts! The flailing screaming and waving had them running away as fast as possible... it was like parting the pony sea! Shockingly, no one showed up with a white jacket that buckles in the back.  I guess I'm not certifiably crazy.....yet.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Thanks for the funny imagery. I can just picture out there. Did you fling yourself over the fences, too? Don't be teaching your horses any bad habits now. hehe!

    The telephone is what drives me crazy. I swear it always knows the worst time to ring.
    I can be doing nothing of importance for hours, but the minute I'm sitting on the potty...RING!....or the second my hands are covered in cookie or bread dough.....RING!......or the moment someone comes to the door......RING! (Sometimes that works out, especially when it's a sales visit or a religious person coming by to preach to me. I always have to answer the phone, ya know. hah!)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't get to fling myself over the fence. I ducked under 2, and the third I was looking at having to go over, but I realized it was pointless.

    I did get the package today. Ironically, made Jae go feed for me, sat by the front door ALL morning. Every car that drove by had me jumping up. UPS finally showed at 2:30PM! eesh, if he had done that the FIRST time! I'm always hiding from the heat at that time.

    Although, I didn't have to dodge fences this time... just the couple of (hundred pound) dogs between me and the door. Let me tell you, signing for that package was better then winning the Olympics (it was registration papers).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate UPS. They would leave a package with a neighbor I didn't know, but if I asked them to just leave it on the door step, no way!. Asked if I could just pick it up, nope they have to try to deliver it three time. I was like, I will not be there when he drops it off, I am at work, but NO they couldn't just let me pick it up after work. Arg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKay, so that was just plain funny - at least for anyone who wasn't running through the pasture, inadvertently de-spooking their horses. Cuz, you never know when you'll be approached with UPS chasers ;) Seriously, I'm glad you got your reg. papers - and yes, I'd run too.

    ReplyDelete