A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The beauty of technology

So, I have recently made a facebook page for the Sugarbush Drafts.  Check it out.. I made a handly little widget thingy too (on the left there).

I'm pretty impressed with myself for this.  For those who don't know, I'm really very facebook challenged!  I can't ever seem to figure out how to navigate around, I never know if my updates and such are publishing properly, and the whole concept is a bit weird to me.

But hey.... what better way to get people learning about these horses then facebook, right?


On the downside, I had someone interested in Zire recently.  I was very excited because it sounded like a perfect home for him, but he wasn't quite what she was looking for.  A lovely horse shopper though!  Let me just say, if every potential customer was this open, upfront and honest, the horse market would be amazing!  (Ok, and sellers too, but I'm an honest seller... really!).

At any rate, I added a few more horses to the sales list.  I'm not in a hurry to sell them, but I'm willing to let go of them for the right person.  Everyday something happens that makes me re-evaluate what I'm doing with the Sugarbush Drafts, and how I want to get there from here.  I love all my horses, and wish I could keep every last one, but I also know that many of these would be great additions to other families/breeding programs, and the only way to grow the breed, is to share the wealth (lovely horses).

Now, if I could just find the time to catch up on my research for frame, to make sure I don't spread any lies... then I'll get that pattern posted!

3 comments:

  1. Zire looks so grown up in that picture! I'm anxious to hear just what she IS looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, he looks like a real horse. He'll be a baby a while longer in my books though. I did put a stick on him. He's 14.2 at the withers, and just a hair shy of 15.0 at the rump. With both parents being "level" (neither uphill nor down) I'm expecting a pretty nice growth spurt from him soon.

    I will admit that I didn't get the best video of him. The poor kid was hot, and being very lazy, so his movement was... less then his best. He's also not scared of anything, so flapping tarps, plastic bags, my grooming towel, cracking a whip... it didn't bother him at all. The only way I got him to move out was yelling commands at him (Zire TROT!).

    Yep, there is a downside to having such pampered babies. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zire looks so grown up in that picture! I'm anxious to hear just what she IS looking for.

    ReplyDelete