A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Completely not genetics related - Rover finds his home!

Red Rover, Red Rover......

This is my favorite picture of the big lug.  It just shows what type of a horse he is, big, sweet, and a bit lazy!  Well, I think my dear Rover has found himself the perfect new home!

A wonderful lady (Who I forgot to ask if she minded me posting her information, so will remain nameless) contacted me, looking for a horse for her granddaughter to ride.  She wanted something child safe, well broke, wonderfully mannered, and good for a child.  Of course the normal requirements, no bucking, biting, rearing, kicking, but also she wanted a horse that could be pulled out of the pasture after a few weeks off, and not cause problems.  Well.... Rover fits that bill perfectly!

Now, I've made no secret of Rover's health problem: Ringbone.  His new owner saw the ad, did some checking up on Ringbone, and asked me very appropriate questions.  Many of the answers were "I have no way of knowing" but she was willing to come look at him anyway.

While she was on her way, I organized my paperwork, and realized that  - DOH - his coggins had run out on the 6th!  Wow, I felt silly.  I explained that to her right up front, because well, I hate people who hide things like that, so won't do it myself!  Besides that, she looked him over, I showed her his "issues" (like flinching at sprays) and I asked her if she wanted to see him ridden.

Of course, who would buy a horse for their granddaughter with out seeing it ridden?  Rover was completely average today... which means he was twice as good as most horses out there.  She loved that he will change gears on verbal commands (I um, thought that was normal) and how easy he was to do anything with.  And, like any one that's sane, she realized that he's a steal at the price I was asking (enough to cover his medical expenses).  And, should I mention here that because of weather, his lameness issues, and the muddy arena, Rover hasn't been ridden in about... 3 weeks?  It could be longer, but I know it's been 3 weeks.  Yep, a nice long stretch of time off, and he went back under saddle like he hadn't skipped a day.

Of course, like with any horse that comes through my gates.... if there's ever a problem, he's always welcome back.  Even if it's because his ringbone has become hard to manage.  Although, his new owner did say that if he makes it past the trial (i.e. doesn't go nuts tomorrow, which he won't) then animals tend to never leave her place.  She takes care of them through the end!

I'm going to miss the big guy.  Hell, I'm already missing the big guy!  But, I'm also SO happy for him to have his own family, and to get as much attention as he wants.  She should be the perfect home for him, and she is prepared to handle all of his medical issues, including keeping him pastured so he can keep his legs comfortable, adding supplements to his feed, and pain meds as needed.  I hope that her granddaughter enjoys him as much as we have here.

Enjoy your second chance, Rover.  You deserve it big boy.

9 comments:

  1. He sounds like a real prize and perfect for the home he's going to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww Great for Rover !! He sounds like the prefect horse for me too!!! Except I need another like well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for him, but I'll miss him. Seriously, had it not been for that, I may considered him. He is a GREAT ride. Beautiful gaits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And THAT is a much better pic of me on Rover! My fave, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe, Leah just consider the bad picture thing a fair trade off for all the times you have done it to me! Besides... who looks at the RIDER when there's a horse in the picture?

    This family just got a steal of a horse simply because she didn't run away from a controllable medical condition. I really loved riding him too... it's a good thing I wait until after the horse is off my property before I start to feel like this, or I'd never let go of ANY of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so wonderful! It is so great when horses and people can be matched up so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! Sounds like such a wonderful ne whome for Rover! :)


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww Great for Rover !! He sounds like the prefect horse for me too!!! Except I need another like well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehehe, Leah just consider the bad picture thing a fair trade off for all the times you have done it to me! Besides... who looks at the RIDER when there's a horse in the picture?

    This family just got a steal of a horse simply because she didn't run away from a controllable medical condition. I really loved riding him too... it's a good thing I wait until after the horse is off my property before I start to feel like this, or I'd never let go of ANY of them!

    ReplyDelete