A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Dadd!

First off, I would like to say Happy Birthday to my father.  He's 39 this year... again.  Thanks for everything Dad, and here's hoping you have a nice and relaxing day!

Dad has always been an inadvertant driving force behind my horsey addiction.  From encouraging me as a child, and driving me all over to get my horsey fix - and I probably shouldn't mention that I think I learned the word horse before I could say "Daddy" - to failing to discourage me as a teenager, by telling me how expensive horses were, and bringing out the rebel in me ("Oh yeah, well I'll show YOU").   Horses have plagued him since... well... the year I was born (and we won't say when that was!).

In 1999, my father acquired his first share in horse ownership, when a crazy owner decided she was going to take back my mare if I didn't pay her off within 24 hours.  Dad ponied up the money for his poor college daughter, and refused to allow me to pay him back the full amount.  Yes, my father owns $5 worth of my old thoroughbred mare, Ash.  And yes, he's listed as a co-owner on her papers with the Jockey Club.  His reasoning?  I can't sell her unless he signs those papers. 

He purchased his OWN horse in 2000.  A fellow boarder at my stable made the mistake of going to an auction.  A chestnut colt ran though, and the only bidder was the meat man.  My friend tossed out a bid, and the meat man stopped bidding, so she came home with a skinny ugly yearling.  A couple of weeks later my father met the colt, and decided he liked the price.  He still says that he bought the horse to keep my mom's horse company....suuuuuuure he did.

Then, in 2005,a string of coincidences occurred.  Jae prompted me to put my string of skills together, and start breeding.  Here's the really strange part... my father encouraged me!  Dad offered to become a business partner, and assist with the start up fees.  Of course, he made me write up the business plan (evil evil man, but that thing has been really useful, in all of its incarnations) and he was rather involved with picking out our first stallion.
 Dad is involved with the babies, and always seems to have a treat in his hand for one of the ponies.  After 3 knee surgeries, he still climbs up on a horse, and wanders around.  He's not the best rider, but he seems to enjoy it, and the horses all adore him. 

And now, in 2010, he has taken a job with a carriage company in Dallas.  He's learning to drive the big horses!  When my father began explaining to me why one horse needs a collar and another uses a breast plate, I had to chuckle.... he still says he's not a horseman.
 So Daddy, here's to you, and all the crap you put up with.  You'd better have a Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Awww your dad sounds like a great man and you truly adore him!!

    Cherish him as I know from experience there will be a day where you only have these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know it was his BD -- Happy Birthday Jim!

    ReplyDelete