A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm still happy about the rain

It's been raining off and on for a week now.  I've had Flash Flood warnings for the past 2 days.  Sadly, I haven't gotten much rain of any significance!  Just enough to keep it moist, and keep my arena slick.

Yesterday, while the flash flood warning were screaming on my desk top weather, I went out and mowed the paddock.  I got a sun burn from the bright sunny sky.  At least it was cooler though, so I got quite a bit done.

It's the weeds that are the problem.  I'm not really sure how to handle them either.  Some sources say to spray herbicides... but chemicals + horses  = bad idea.  I've tried mowing the weeds down, and that helps a ton, but I have to stay consistant on it, or a new set of weeds takes over.  I've thought about disking and tilling the land.  When I did my barn yard renovation (basically reformed the whole slope of the land) the grass grew back quickly, and with a vengeance!  When I tried disking the pasture.... I grew a ton of weeds.

Looks like I need to research.  I know that once I have the cross fencing up, I can just spray for weeds, and be done with it.  I'll be able to lock the horses away from that paddock for 2+ weeks, until I'm sure there's nothing harmful out there for them, and enjoy the lovely green grasses.  I ust don't know what to do other then bide my time until that job is finished.

I know.... buy more hay! That always works!

5 comments:

  1. And I bet you'll get no complaints from the horses if you buy more hay. They're very supportive like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I HATE burrdock! I have beening figiht this for awhile. I really don't want to do the chemical route so I have been cutting it down. This year I am serious about it! I have been out there whomping it down in the afternoon when it starts to cool off. In other areas I just mow.

    And yes, if you distrube the soil burr dock will be one of the first things to come up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My main issues is a plant called "Bitter Sneeze Weed". It's a lovely yellow flower similar looking to a daisy, but it STINKS, and nothing likes it.

    First I had Pig weed. Then I had a sagey thing, then the sneeze weed... which stayed. I also have hard pan, so I have to break up the soil in some areas for the grass to just get roots going (coastal bermuda) and of course, that brings more weeds. It's a never ending battle.

    I think I have a solution though, with cross fencing. Not cheap, nor easy, but I should be able to use herbicides and proper maintenance to get rid of the weeds.

    The worst part is that under all the weeds, the grass grows like a gold course in many areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also called Yellow Bitter Weed, and I hate that stuff. It is unbelievable invasive and hard to kill! I actually pulled it all last year but apparently, I pulled it too late. It's EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I HATE burrdock! I have beening figiht this for awhile. I really don't want to do the chemical route so I have been cutting it down. This year I am serious about it! I have been out there whomping it down in the afternoon when it starts to cool off. In other areas I just mow.

    And yes, if you distrube the soil burr dock will be one of the first things to come up!

    ReplyDelete