A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Taking a day off for riding and Family

I have really enjoyed blogging about genetics recently, and I hope I am not boring any one too much.  It's also been a great excuse for me to look up and check my facts on a few things.  I love researching.

So, expect to see more information about tobiano on Monday.  Today, I will be enjoying a few ponies, and cooking a steak for my dad.  Ok, I won't be cooking, but I sure will be eating it!

And I'd like to congratulate Heather on THIS:

That's Rose, under saddle!  She looks like a very happy girl (yeah both of them).  Rose has been confirmed in foal to O, and it looks like we will have one more Sugarbush Foal on the ground in 2011!  I'm very excited about all of this.  Congrats Heather.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the steak, family and ponies!!!!! Congrats about the confirmed pregnancy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's not my mare, and won't be my foal, but it IS one more baby in the breed.

    I'm very excited for her, and crossing my fingers and toes that she gets what she wants next year!

    Family day was good. Working on a few more things, so today's post will be later. It IS coming though, promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the steak, family and ponies!!!!! Congrats about the confirmed pregnancy!!!

    ReplyDelete