A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Website Update, and a new listing

I have a new listing for a Sugarbush Draft mare, Showtime!  This is Sugarbush Harley's Classic O's (what a mouthful) full sister.  She stands about 17 hands, is black with a small blanket, and is broke to drive.

As you can see she is broke to drive.  This picture is a few years old, and she was heavily pregnant in it.  I am still getting more information on her, but Everett has decided to sell her.  I will be posting more pictures and information about her soon, but I wanted to get her out there to the public.

Essie is located in Ohio, on Everett's farm.  For someone wanting the best of both worlds, a using horse, and a breeding horse, this mare is your ticket.  I have to admit here that I am interested in her as well... but because this breed is so rare, I want to make sure others have a chance at buying these horses.  I figure, if she sells before I get my money together, then it was meant to be!  Ok, and having more Sugarbush owners is always a good thing.  There just aren't enough horses out there to satisfy all of our urges.

I also updated pictures for O and Sweetie.  More updates are coming while I'm waiting out the rain.  You can always check out my webpage by clicking the Iron Ridge Sport Horses link at the top of the blog.

7 comments:

  1. I'll say she was pregnant — look how the carriage bar is pressing her sides. Maybe Heather knows someone who'd be interested in her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea, but she'd be a great driving horse for someone. She's Amish trained, and has quite a few miles on her from what I understand.

    I keep telling myself that I can't buy any more until I sell what's needing to find homes. I'll just keep repeating that for a bit, and see if it sinks in... but oh, wouldn't she make a nice broodmare/driving horse? I'd love to learn to drive (in all that free time I have).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute! I hope she finds a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth, I hope she does as well.

    And what Leah, Driving? I figure it can be as hard as learning to ride =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, the Ashe family taught me to drive in about 10 minutes. I don't know how to hook everything up yet and if I had my own acreage I would take her right now for my driving horse! We were thinking about sending Apollo to be trained to drive, but decided to buy Rose and O instead. We still might send him later. Send me her information and pics via email and I will get it sent out through the Texas Draft Horse and Mule Association.

    ReplyDelete