A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

I am a bad bad blogger

I have been slacking .  It's been days since I updated the blog, and I know I still have to write a post about Appaloosa coat color. 

I have a great excuse though!  I've been riding instead.  My lovely mare Dream (ApHC registered KCF Olympic Dream) is doing perfectly under sadly, and learning in leaps and bounds.   She enjoys working, and is meeting me at the gate for her next lesson.  I mean, when the horse almost throws herself into the bridle, how can I refuse?

I have been trying my hardest to also get a ride in on Velvet.  I think we're cursed though.  As an example, we had the most amazing fall weather yesterday.  I rode Dream, and then began to tack up Velvet.  By the time I had her saddle fitted and on her, I look outside the barn to see.......

Rain.

There's no way I'm riding a horse with issues under saddle in the rain, in slippery footing.  The time before that, Boo ran into a gate just after I pulled Velvet up to tack her up.  The time before that, I had to do something, and it was over 100 degrees before I could get back to her.  On the upside, she's had a lot of lessons in accepting the bit, and standing for saddling.  Both are things she's less then perfect with. 

And then there's the personal crap.....

Recently my dear father has been suffering from a few minor medical issues.  Nothing life threatening (its believed), but in combination they have made him feel very poorly, and required one minor surgery.  This morning I was informed that Dad is back in the hospital.  His last surgery caused a clot.  They took care of it, he's ok, but still, he feels pretty bad.  I feel really bad for him, and I hope he gets well soon.

So today it's a lovely 88 degrees outside.  I have a few tired ponies, and one waiting for me to eat and ride.  I am GOING to ride Velvet today.... just as soon as I unload the grain, till the arena......

But it's a great day to be outside.

6 comments:

  1. I really hope it stays this nice through the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send rain our way... I hope your dad feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your dad feels better, and that you get in a ride on Velvet. Don't ever worry about not blogging - there's no obligation although we're always glad to hear from you when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all. I'm loving this weather! I'm able to be out working all day in it, and we still have a ton of sunlight left over. I mean, how great is that?

    And Jeni... I'm keeping as much of this rain as I can. WHile we've had a bit, it hasn't been enough. My pond is still dangerously low, and a day after the rain... well... I'm covered in dust from the arena. It's like it never happened (but the grass is a bit taller).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only live — what, maybe 15 miles from you — and we haven't had any of it.

    That's a nice pic of Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks y'all. I'm loving this weather! I'm able to be out working all day in it, and we still have a ton of sunlight left over. I mean, how great is that?

    And Jeni... I'm keeping as much of this rain as I can. WHile we've had a bit, it hasn't been enough. My pond is still dangerously low, and a day after the rain... well... I'm covered in dust from the arena. It's like it never happened (but the grass is a bit taller).

    ReplyDelete