A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

What a Day it has been... What a rare Mood I'm in....

Ok, quick, name the musical the above Lyrics are from!  Any one?  Any one? 

Today was a good day.  I had a lovely ride on my polka dotted wonder pony!  She wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but she did show me that she could care less about how many strange things I throw at her.  New people, who cares.  New horses, so what!  I love that horse.

Sarah was forced to take a different ride today.  Doodles, a lovely grade Paint horse (solid) that has worked as a lesson horse, doubles as my father's trail horse, and did a stint as a show prospect for me, until his ulcers proved he'd never be happy showing.  Personally I love Doodles.  He's fun, he's tolerant, and he's a silly dufus.  Didn't get the chance to ask Sarah what she thinks of him though.  Ok, honestly, I plain ol' forgot to ask.

Kris had a nice ride on Jaz, and is learning to ride English.  She felt the burn of keeping her legs straight from the hip.  It's one of those things that's hard to start doing, and really stretches the lower back muscles, but once you have it, you end up feeling 100x more secure on the horse.  After the ride, She pulled out Kiva, and we did a bit of lunging with her.  I showed Kris how I work with her, what her personality needs to be effective, and then had her give it a go.  The first round, I had to encourage Kris to be mean to Kiva (she likes a very confidant leader, and Kris's "mean" isn't that mean) but suddenly... it all snapped together.  Kiva decided Kris meant what she said, and Ba Da Bing, Ba Da Boom.... Kiva was in work mode. 

AND.... a bit of wheeling and dealing on my part has resulted in my purchase of Sweetie!  Yep, will be mailing off a check for her in the morning to Mr. Smith!  My very OWN Sugarbush Draft Horse, registered in MY name.  For this whole time I have been working with Everett's horses, and the ones I've owned and bred are "only" Stonewall Sport Horses.  The Sugarbush Drafts are a draft horse, not a draft cross, and Sweetie is from the original lines bred by Everett.  She's going to be a big and tall girl, she's got great conformation, even if she does go through a Moosey looking stage when she's growing, and icing on the cake, she's Homozygous.

And she's MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I leased the horses, I told Everett that I would sell them for him.  I love them all, but it's not fair to hoard them, and doesn't do the breed any good for one person to have a stash of them.  Because of this, I figured that I would just wait, and see what happened, and one day I'd buy one of them.  Today was that day.

Also this week, I was offered the chance to purchase the 3rd of "my" Olympic girls.  These are a batch of fillies I fell in love with sired by the Appaloosa Stallion, Olympic Hope, by Chocklate Confetti.  Sadly Olympic passed away young.  I managed to talk Sig out of Dream many years ago, which lead to my long friendship with her (RIP Sig).  The next year, Sig made me an offer I couldn't refuse, a long term lease on Dove, Dream's half sister, and the purchase of Arden.  As I planned the trip to NY to pick up my girls, Sig informed me that I could also lease Shadow, the last of Olympic's foals.  From the moment Shadow was born, I had said I wanted her; she looks like a funny colored Andalusian!  Just a lovely girl.  Well, Mary (Shadow's owner) informed me that she's getting out of full size horses, and made me an offer I can't refuse.  With Sweetie paid off, I will begin purchasing Shadow as well. 

So, I'm not really gaining any more horses, just buying the ones I already have.  This means Katy will be the only horse on the property that I do not own.  The only downside of the week.... I forgot to remind Jae to get pictures of us all riding.  Ah well, I guess I can't have it all.

Oh, and for those still wondering, the musical the title is from: Brigadoon.

4 comments:

  1. Sweetie and Shadow! Two!!! How wonderful for you, particularly as you already know and love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well how cool is that!!! I smiled when you wrote "learning the burn of keeping leg straight at the hip" I know that feeling well! Not to mention sitting on your back pockets, with your tail bone well under you. It's such a different seat then Western Pleasure that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Doodles was sweet. Not too keen to stop for me for some reason, but sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I'm glad Doodles wasn't too much of a doofus for you. He really is sweet. They don't come much more willing.

    Heather, I'm working on THE post, just lagging behind because of that presentation class.

    I didn't get pix of you guys riding, just the horses. I'm sorry, but that's funny.

    ReplyDelete