A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I broke my horses.... and my alarm clock

So, Sunday, we have a full Pony Party: Leah, Kris, Sarah, and myself.  Sarah decided to go bold, and chose to ride the "polka dotted wonder pony" also known as Dream.  Dream's still very green, but, um... she's definitely not a run away horse. I spend a lot of time making sure my horses are calm and confident... a bit too much I think.  Dream won't break into a trot.  I mean just flat out won't. 

Sarah, oh how I love that girl!  She went to mount Dream, and Dream stepped away from the block.  I had asked Sarah just to make sure that Dream didn't start the walk off trick.  As a young horse, teaching her now to stand properly makes life so much easier later.  Sarah took me at my word, and made SURE that the mare would stand.  Up the mounting block she went, Dream stepped over, and down the mounting block she went. 

Can you say step aerobics?  Yeah, I bet Sarah can!  Feel the burn girl! 

So, then Leah and Sarah were both husband-less on Monday, and decided that horses were better then cleaning house or such.  YAY... a GREAT weekend of pony friends! 

I get out to the barn (late...) and Leah and Sarah are hanging out, taking it easy.  Leah comments on the shed, and how it really needs to move.  We joke about it, and then I decide... no, it REALLY needs to move!

So, this shed..... It's a super cheap, super ugly prefab shed.  You know the type you pick up at Home Depot in a box?  Yeah.  I think my parents bought it about 10 years ago.  It's been moved at least 3 times now.  Well, last October my father decided that he was going to put this together.... in my front yard.  Why the front yard?  Well... because that's where the tools are!  He'll move it once he's done.  But... it's in my way in the front yard and in my way.  Oh, but Dad said he'd be done and have it moved in 2 weeks.

It's September.  It was still in my front yard 11 months later.  'Nuff said.

The shed had to go.  Jae had started moving it, and parts started coming off, so he stopped.  I told him this morning, "I don't care, just make it GO AWAY!".  And boy did he.

The "big blue wheelbarrow" (aka his 35 HP tractor) drives up, and Jae lines up the bucket with the base of the shed.  Slowly he begins moving forward, pushing the shed across the barn yard, right in front of the stallion pens.  He went slow, so as not to spook any horses.  The stallions on the other hand, heard rustling, and assumed that this funny thing moving HAD to have food for them!  Spook... nah, not them.

He makes the turn into the alley, and heads for the storage barn thing.  Suddenly, we hear a noise.  It was kinda like a crunch, but a lot more amusing.
Yes, that's Spot there taking a nap.  The shed self destructed right next to him, so he decided that it must not have food after all.  I have to mention here, that when the side of the shed gave way, Jae looked up at us with an "uh oh" look on his face.  The three of us watching began clapping. 

Good show my man, lovely entertainment!

So, the Shed well... it's not in the best of shape, and it's really in the way now.  That alley there is the main traffic way to take hay to the pasture horses.  Jae figures he might as well finish moving the shed.  He gets back on the tractor, and begins pushing some more.
The girls decided that all the noise meant something good must be happening.  Leading the pack there is Dream, the mare Sarah rode the day before.  They started trickling in from the far side of the pasture.  Yes, all of them.  When Jae started sliding the thing along, they stood there watching.  It was a pretty loud and noisy mess, with lots of clanking and metal noises.  They didn't care, there could be love, cookies, or maybe hay involved!

So it appears that I've completely broken my horses.  Not only were they not scared of it... they had to come check it out! 

This is a good thing........ right?


I also managed to break my alarm clock.  I overslept on Saturday and thought I was just worn out.  I overslept on Sunday, and figured I had stayed up too late.  When I woke up 2 minutes after I wanted to be IN the barn, I figured something was up.  Checked the alarm clock, and it makes no noise.  When it reaches the set time it simply clicks, but does not buzz.  I'm well known to be able to sleep through anything, unless it's an animal in distress (yeah, I wake up to a horse snorting, but sleep through construction outside my house) so my trusty alarm clock is known as the Armageddon alarm.  It can wake the neighborhood, and YES, you can hear it from the barn.

*sigh*  I don't know if I'll ever find another clock as annoying as this one was.  But at almost 20 years old, I think it has served its time.

6 comments:

  1. It's an ill "wind" that blows no good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a productive weekend! Nice that your horses are all so laid back. Too bad about the alarm, I am the opposite , the "click " would likely wake me .But like you , a horse in trouble...I am awake instantly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I finally got on, Dream was a very good girl, but whoo boy, she did NOT want me to get on! Climbing the stairs at home to put away my saddle was... umm... fun when I got home on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an entertaining and productive weekend.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized that I rode a LOT more this weekend then normal. Between the extra days off for every one, and my big push to put some hours on the girls (like Velvet and my bareback stint on Cayenne) wow, my thighs were screaming at me this morning!

    I keep telling myself that it's the first sign of super thin and sexy equestrian legs. Go with me on this one....don't destroy my hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's an ill "wind" that blows no good ;-)

    ReplyDelete