A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Joys of Colic: Road to Recovery

So,I left off last night with us administering fluids, and Boo looking better.  I can happily say that he continued to improve.  At 4am, I arrived in the barn to find Boo laying down sternally (on his chest, head up) and calm.  He only had Banamine in his system, and looked good... all things considered.  Dumped 10 Liters more of fluids into him, and got some very nice moist poo, and tons of gas.  Wet sloppy gas.

Ya know, most people would think that's TMI, but horse people understand the joys of fluid filled guts after colic.

Now at 9am, we headed back out for his latest round of fluids.  I did grab sleep between the 4am and 9am doses, because Boo had looked so nice.  When I walked back out to the barn, I was almost anxious.  You know that feeling when you aren't sure if you'll find a horse standing up looking good, or laying down, cast, in pain, or suffering some how?  Yeah, that was me.  As I walked across the yard to the barn, I worried that I shouldn't have slept, I felt guilty that I had been so exhausted.  I just knew that I'd find a horse in serious distress because I had been selfish.  Then I rounded the corner and saw Boo....


Standing up, picking at his bedding.  He nickered at me!

There was Boo, bright eyed and bushy tailed, looking GREAT!  We dumped the last of our fluids into him, and I put in a call to the vet.  I think I might be done with treatment.  There was a large lump of poo in the stall, and multiple wet sloppy cow patties around.  His guts were so loud I could hear them from outside the stall, and he looked irritated that he didn't have any grain to eat.

I'm still not positive that we're through everything.  The vet did say that we could have a "calm before the storm" because of the size and type of impaction that he had.  I'm now ordered to keep an eye on him, and if he shows pain, give Banamine.  No more heavy drugs though... YAY!

I'm a bit in shock.  I was completely prepared for 3 days of this, and there's a chance that it will only be 24 hours?  And we're talking about Boo... you know, the horse that's short bus special?  The horse that tries to kill himself on a regular basis?

And, the cause of colic.... not drinking enough for the humidity and sweating he was doing.  Sounds just like his brother!

So!  It looks like I can get back to blogging about Appaloosa colors!  I do love appy color genetics!

9 comments:

  1. Very glad that Boo is doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news so far - keeping fingers crossed! I have Maisie on a big pour of plain table salt - no iodine - 2x a day since she drinks poorly in the stall. I don't use electrolytes, since they can increase urination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He and his brother Jaz together could break Donald Trump in a matter of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, yay. I'm so glad he's doing better.

    You know, it's kind of funny - that's actually the first time I've seen a horse colicking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for poops! Glad he is doing well, and I am sure you will be wide awake and keeping a close eye on him,doubtyou needed to be told lol! Best wishes for a trouble free recovery

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad he's doing better. Those of us who have been there know how welcome poops are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad he's feeling better! I know you won't sleep totally soundly for a few more days, but DO be kind to yourself: you're giving him the best care possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, yay. I'm so glad he's doing better.

    You know, it's kind of funny - that's actually the first time I've seen a horse colicking...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news so far - keeping fingers crossed! I have Maisie on a big pour of plain table salt - no iodine - 2x a day since she drinks poorly in the stall. I don't use electrolytes, since they can increase urination.

    ReplyDelete