A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, September 27, 2010

A Sneak Peak at My Mother's Amazing Art

Ok, I'm probably really really biased, because well, she's my mom.  On the other hand, I've taken enough art classes during my stint as an art major in college to know that she really is very talented.  So, mom is now selling her work, and like any good horse person, it's easy to figure out her favourite subject.

Here's a sneak peak at her art.  Many of these are still works in progress, quite a few of them are still wet, so they don't photograph easily.  And I'm using this chance to perfect my ability to get some decent pictures of her art before she lists it for sale.  Ok, and I'm bragging a bit, and I know she reads my blog....






Personally, I'm having a hard time deciding which is my favourite!  I really like the one of O (last one), but I'm also in love with the picture of Rico as an adult (#3).  Probably that's because those are real horses that I have known.

So what do y'all think?  Which one is your favourite? (Click on picture for larger image)

Any any tips on taking pictures of paintings is always appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. you have every reason to be proud of your mom! beautiful work ,all of them .I think I like Ric and the second last one best

    ReplyDelete