A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Why is it that I can never get pictures?

Seems like there's a bunch of new things going on lately.  I have decided to offer training to outside horses, I have begun advertising seriously for boarding clients, and my very talented mother has been painting.

Now, my mother's favourite subject is, of course, horses.  She's incredibly talented, and works in oils, watercolors, and acrylics, although oil paint is her favourite.  I think, but could be wrong, that she does pencil, ink and pastels as well.  Sadly, I have none of her talent.  I'll be bragging about her stuff here.  I am just warning you ahead of time... it's that good.

Me, now I've been having so much fun training all these horses lately, and with the fall weather cooling things off (and income cooling off as well) I've decided to offer training services to outside horses.  I'm good at training horses.  Yeah, a bit arrogant, but it's the one thing my talent lies in.  I didn't get mom's ability to paint!  I've trained oodles of horses, but the vast majority have been horses I own.  My problem with training for clients has always been that not all horses fit into the same type of training schedule.  I don't like pushing a young or fretful horse faster then it is ready to go, because its owner thinks that 30 days should have it riding like a 20 year old packer.  It dawned on me recently, that I don't have to.  I'm not forced to accept the horse.  I'm not forced to push a horse faster then it's able to.  I CAN train outside horses and still sleep at night.  And well, I really love that feeling of the first ride on a horse.

So, because of all this, I've been updating my website.  And, as always, I start updating, and realize that I need PICTURES!  Eesh.  I'm so bad about getting pictures.  I have a phone that takes pretty decent pictures.  I have a fancy dancy camera that takes super nice pictures.  And yet... I really don't have a lot of pictures.

I read y'all blogs all the time (when I can sneak it in!) and I'm dieing to know how you remember to keep the camera on you, AND use it to take pictures.  I'd love to hear your tips and tricks.

9 comments:

  1. To be honest I wish I took and posted more. My real downfall is videos. I take them and then never look at them and never get them posted, even though I really want that video record.
    One trick that you mention above is that I do tend to use my phone. It's on me more and I can upload to my blog directly from the phone, which saves the step of downloading to the computer, etc. and thus saves time. I have a nice camera too, and talk my husband into shooting some pictures when I can :)
    Sounds like you have some exciting new things on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot that fits in your pocket. That's the only reason I always have mine. That fancy SLR you have is great for planned photo shoots, but not good for shots from horseback unless you have serious Captain Kangaroo pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think I take too many! lol. Seriously, I just grab the camera as often as I can remember. Sometimes, I don't even pull it out of the bag. But sometimes, I'm glad I have it along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lovely little point and shoot, a friend told me to just keep it in my pocket at all times. The other trick is to put it in burst mode, you get about 6 pics for every click and often when you sort through there are some really good ones. I love that with digital you can just delete what doesn't work

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the idea of the point and shoot: I had a great little Cannon PowerShot that fit in my pocket--it eventually gave in to barn dust, hay chaff and weanling slobber, but it took photos that rival my Nikon.
    The Nikon D40 (or the higher pixel D40X) is compact and lightweight, but the lens you choose will determine how much you carry it around. I guess that my year-old jeans (pre-30 lb. weight loss) qualify as "Captain Kangaroo pants," as I can put the camera strap diagonally over my chest/shoulder and tuck the lens safely in my jeans pocket--allowing me to whip it out for photos on the trail. Still a little awkward mounting and dismounting (or when Kate gets silly). Lots less worrying about the point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks y'all! I recently upgraded my phone to one with a pretty decent camera on it. I'll have to try, and then upload some pictures and see if it's good enough, or if I just need a pocket camera.

    Hehe, not sure how much else I can fit in my pockets while riding these days! Jae won't let me ride with out the phone... just incase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take my camera with me all the time. Otherwise you miss things. Make a point of looking at things through the lens - what would make a good pic. The horses are always fantastic subjects. And don't be afraid to take lots of pics - you can always delete the ones you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks y'all! I recently upgraded my phone to one with a pretty decent camera on it. I'll have to try, and then upload some pictures and see if it's good enough, or if I just need a pocket camera.

    Hehe, not sure how much else I can fit in my pockets while riding these days! Jae won't let me ride with out the phone... just incase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I think I take too many! lol. Seriously, I just grab the camera as often as I can remember. Sometimes, I don't even pull it out of the bag. But sometimes, I'm glad I have it along.

    ReplyDelete