A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Only a few more days till I'm allowed to ride again!

Since my trick riding this weekend, I have been out of the saddle - except for a few seconds when I forgot.  The doctor couldn't believe that I wasn't hurt after "such a bad accident" (it wasn't that "bad", just dramatic) and so he forbid me from riding for one week.

To my way of thinking, that means I can ride again tomorrow!  One week from Sunday is obviously Saturday, right?  I have even followed the intent of the ruling, and not just the letter of it.  I haven't worked any horses on the ground, and I haven't done anything strenuous with the horses - because hugs don't count, and feeding must be done.

I've been a good, if slightly irritating patient.  Poor Jae has been given quite a few "honey do" lists, and as a good man, has promptly ignored almost everything on them in favor of spoiling me rotten.  At the same time, he's made multiple trips out to check on horses, throw hay, fill water, and make it so that I can actually take the time off, and do a whole lot of nothing.

But, I'm ready to be riding again.  The weather is LOVELY, the horses are in good shape, and I can't recall having this much free time in years.  Basically, I don't know what to do with myself.

I have recently began advertising for training clients.  Feels somewhat odd to be talking about taking a fall and accepting new clients, but hey, that's why people pay trainers.  We're the fools who don't mind falling down occasionally! 

Actually that's not true.  I really don't like falling, but I'm also not really scared of it.  I prefer to engage the horses' minds and teach them to not let me fall.  It's easier that way.  I also have the benefits of  multiple people on site all day (at least Jae and I) and since this is my job, I don't have other commitments that have to come before the horses. 

Since I sold my only 2010 foal, and I'm training up my older horses pretty quickly (yeah, Amber is going to need extra work), and have sold many of those that needed hours under saddle, I really hope that I get a couple of client horses in this winter.  Because I am not expecting any 2011 foals, that means I don't need to take my usual "foaling season" break.  In other words, I have hours to spare, and would really prefer to spend them in the saddle on SOME horse.

If I don't get enough client horses to fill my schedule, I will likely be accepting "rescue" or "rehabilitation" horses for my second chance string.  These are horses whose owners either can't keep them any more, who have had some medical issues that their last owner couldn't handle (I've had one eyed horses, and such) or horses with behavioral issues that need to be retrained in order to get a good home.

All in all, I'm pretty excited about this fall.  Things are going nicely, progress is happening, and I get to spend every second I want on a horse.  I often pause, and think "Wow, I love my life".  I mean, the property isn't finished yet, but I can see things looking nicer.  I'm not rich yet (ok, I don't really want to be either) but I have a job that matters to me.  I can't think of anything I want more then what I already have. Great friends and family that support me, a great way of life, and tons of time to spend with horses.

Nothing like a bruise to one's pride (and bonk to the head) to make you realize just how lucky you really are!

(Although, in all honesty, I'll probably be whining soon enough about too much rain, and not being able to ride due to slippery footing.)

5 comments:

  1. More hours on the greenies is a good thing. Looking forward to having my Boyz back home, but will miss so much time with my barn buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan, good on you to spend your down time loking forward and not back. If you run out of projects,well just fly on up to Alberta , you will likey freeze your tush off but I can keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're doing better. My last fall (broke ribs) asked doc if I could ride my horse, and he was against it. So I rode the lesson horse, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been several times over the past few years (surgery and a muscle disease) I have been unable to ride - always seems like forever until the coast is clear again. Just be sure to avoid those unscheduled dismounts in the future ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good plan, good on you to spend your down time loking forward and not back. If you run out of projects,well just fly on up to Alberta , you will likey freeze your tush off but I can keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete