A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday!

Yep, it's that time of year again.  I have just posted my winter sale prices on my website, and given the whole thing a bit of holiday cheer.  I have to admit, adding in some festive accents to my webpage was really rather fun.  It might not be the most professional thing I can do, but I just can't help myself.

I dropped the price on my Appaloosa and Appaloosa Sport Horses, and am offering free board through the end of December for all horses purchased.

On the downside, I have raised the price of training slightly.  The new price of $390 per month will go into effect on January 1, for all new clients.  All past clients in good standing will remain at the 2010 price.  This is our way of saying thank you for choosing us.

Also, I have wonderful news!  Heather Crispin of Livin Large Farms and Stephanie Adame have recently aquired a new Stonewall SportHorse mare.  She is a lovely Appaloosa/Percheron cross mare, and arrived on Wednesday, November 24th here at Iron Ridge.

Cali is their new broodmare, and also is supposed to be a lovely riding horse as well.  I plan to test her out just as soon as I am able to!  She is a very sweet girl, and a pleasure to have at our farm.




Unfortunately, the weather has taken a turn for the worse.  Wednesday, temps were in the mid 70s, but on Thanksgiving day the high was 40!  We're back to "winter" weather, with highs in the upper 50s and low 60s through this week. Ah well... it could be worse!

7 comments:

  1. She's so lovely in both appearance and temperament. I can't wait to see what she and O can put together. I assume she'll be bred when O comes in the spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo-Hoo! High of 40?!? I wish! We've been hovering right around zero since Sunday, with 40 mph winds the first couple of days, and 3 inches of snow! Clouded over last night, so it came UP to 15 above, but now it's snowing like crazy! It's all I can do to bundle up enough to do chores--forget riding. I don't feel sorry for you at all!
    On the other hand, that's a nice looking mare. I'll have to look back at your color genetics posts to decide what her pattern is...or you could just tell us (I'm thinking snowflake? or roan?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I think breeding her to O this spring is the plan. Since O is coming back for my breedings, who knows, I might end up crossing them as well for HC and SA.

    And EvenSong...40 is COLD! =) There's a reason I tolerate the Texas summers.... and it's for as little of winter as possible! But never fear, my better half is Canadian, so I hear all the time about how much of a wuss I am.

    As for the mare, she's a black LP roan. That means she is E? aa LPlp patnpatn. She was born solid looking, but with appy traits. Snowflake, varnish and other terms to describe LP roans are just descriptions of how their pattern matured over time... there's no genetic difference in them. Personally, I'd call her frosted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cali is a pretty mare! Do you know her breeding? I am always interested in Perch x App bloodlines since my mares are Perch x App; I always wonder if mine could be related,...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I don't know her breeding. I'm sure her owners do though, as there's been talk about papering her with Stonewall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I don't know her breeding. I'm sure her owners do though, as there's been talk about papering her with Stonewall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's so lovely in both appearance and temperament. I can't wait to see what she and O can put together. I assume she'll be bred when O comes in the spring?

    ReplyDelete