A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, November 1, 2010

I have come to a realization - Cloning

I have decided that I need to clone Jae and myself.  And here you thought I was going to talk about cloning horses... ha!

No, it's been one of those weeks.  The type where you have so much to do, but you aren't exactly over worked, and every thing goes just great.  Yeah, those rarely happen, so when they do, you're thankful.  Well, this is one.

I owe people stuff.  From mailing out checks, to returning a trailer, but I think I have kept in contact with every one, and they know I'm still working on it all.  (if not, email me, call, or text, and remind me!!).  Jae almost has the new paddock finished.  I think he still needs to hang the gate and run the cables (a day's work or so)... and of course painting it all.  But still, that means that the horses coming for boarding will be able to settle right in.

And I went to Sugarbush Harley's Classic O's (Yeah, we call him O for short) show.  His very first show ever, and he did great!  I was so proud of him!  I can't claim to be his momma, or his breeder, but I spent many hours with him, and cam't believe how far he's come.  People couldn't help but stop to stare at him!  And the official score card - two first places, one second place, and one third place ribbon!  Not shabby at ALL!

Picked up a new client horse today too.  Her name is Lady, and she's a National Short Horse.  That's an Arab/Saddlebred cross.  This is a very lovely, and very well mannered mare.  She doesn't like loading, and she is a bit spoiled (is being spoiled a good or a bad thing?  I think it's a good thing personally).  Lady is here to learn the beginnings of dressage.  Mostly to accept contact with the bit, and to start lifting her shoulders and bringing her hind legs under her, the foundation for collection.

Lady loaded up pretty easy.  She balked at the step, and would toss her head up, but that's about all.  There was no kicking, rearing, biting, flailing, and no injuries.  Now, once she was loaded was when the issues began.  Lady started getting claustrophobic.  It's a stock trailer... you know, slat sides, easy to see out?  Well, she wanted OUT.  So we locked her in the front section, and left her loose.  This way she could turn around (she did that on the way home) and not hang herself.  With the mid door closed, she couldn't stick her head out the back, and get damaged by road debris.  But, Lady got worried, and started pawing, dancing, and fretting while the trailer was parked.  We decided to hurry up and get on the road.

Just outside of her town, Lady suddenly got very calm, and started hauling like a pro.  The only movements from her were in Denton (about half way), where she turned around twice back to back.  When we arrived home, she was a perfect lady, er Lady.  She let me walk in, clip on a lead, open the mid door, turn her head to the front, and backed out only when I asked.  She wasn't perfect though.  As her back feet hit the ground, she started backing a bit faster then I would like, but not running away with me or any thing.  As soon as all 4 feet were on solid ground, she was fine.

Brushed the poor girl down, and put her in a nice big (12 x 16) stall with fresh water and coastal hay.  This way she can smell the noises, see the sights, and hear all the scary things with out being in the middle of them.  The barn will muffle a lot, and help her with a nice and easy transition.

Tomorrow, if the weather isn't completely gross, I will take Lady out for a walk around the property, a bit of lunging to see how stiff she is from the ride, and if all the stars align, will take my test ride on her.

Hmm, my luck has been too good lately.  I will make sure to ride Huck and Rooster first, just in case I get tossed.  I think I'm overdue for a wreck, so should be extra careful!  Murphy's law and all that.

4 comments:

  1. Like I told Jae, wait til Weds to bring the trailer back so I can maybe pick up your 6" Pelham for you since OTB is closed Mondays. That will also give you a chance to get me the feed that someone (who shall remain nameless!) forgot to pick up. Really, I prolly won't need the feed til Friday, so if you have other stuff going on, it can wait as long as that. No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I've never heard of a National "SHort" Horse! What are they, just over 14.2? Glad she had an uneventful trip--that'll help with her trailer issues.
    Sounds like you're proud of Mr. "O," whether or not you're his "mamma"--you're obviously his "favorite auntie!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy days,I hear you on that .I was going to tease you about the "short horse" typo but someone got to it first, actually as I get older National Short horse is sounding like a heck of a plan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy days,I hear you on that .I was going to tease you about the "short horse" typo but someone got to it first, actually as I get older National Short horse is sounding like a heck of a plan

    ReplyDelete