A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It's the rainy season I think

It rained all day yesterday, so I didn't get to work the horses.  Lady was still a bit nervous about her new surroundings, and while she loved her stall neighbor (the cute weanling colt Jackson) she didn't like the sound of rain on the roof, the noise of all the horses in the barn, and every thing that is new.  Now don't get me wrong, she was a perfect lady the whole time, but it was obvious that she just wasn't comfortable.

Rooster and Huck were turned out the night before.  At morning feed, it wasn't raining yet, so we left them out.  My weather forecast said rain at 3pm, so as I put on my riding attire and got ready to head out, I was surprised to hear that lovely sound of rain on the roof.  I opened the back door to a monsoon.  Ok, I'm exaggerating, but it was a solid steady and COLD rain.

Rushed out to move horses, and bring in those with out shelter.  Keeley and Jackson were VERY upset that they were getting damp.  Mom grabbed those 2, and pulled them up.  We threw blankets on my personal horses, Ash, Boo, Diesel, and Amber, and kicked them out into the pasture.  They weren't hurting, because they headed out to graze.  Then, we went to grab Huck and Rooster.

Guess who was being BAD?  Here's a hint, it wasn't Rooster!  Huck was bucking and playing and having a good ol' time.  Every time I'd walk up to him to put a halter on, he'd be off running around like a colt.  Jae almost had Rooster haltered, when here comes Huck, zipping up, sliding in the mud, forcing Jae to back out of the way, and slip the halter back off Rooster's head.  Rooster was a sweetie, and steped back up, knowing that he'd get out of the cold icky mess.  Finally Huck decided that while it was fun, it wasn't getting him any drier, so he walked up to be haltered.

The horses were all tucked safely into stalls, and given extra hay to warm them up. No one seemed to mind that at all.  The rain continued pretty late into the night, and this morning dawned bright and damp.

The arena looks like it will be dry by tomorrow, after it's tilled.  Looks like I will be working through the weekend to catch up on rain days though, but that's ok.

Today, Huck and Rooster are out running the length of their paddock, and acting like yearling colts.  They are having a ball.  Lady isn't too sure about the sights (all those other horses she doesn't know) but seems to be taking it all in stride.  I walked Lady around, and got her used to most of the facilities, and she's just so well mannered.  She's interested, and high headed, but besides that, she didn't put a foot out of line.  I can't wait to ride her!  Let me tell ya, I'm chomping at the bit to get back in the saddle.

3 comments:

  1. Bonnie acts just like Huck! Neener neener neener you can't catch me! I act as if I have no interest in her, completely ignore her and she quickly seeks me out and snuffles my pockets for her after haltering treats.

    No rain here.. wish it would come though. So dry... months no without more than 2 inches total of rain fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for all that rain, but it sure was nice to see the sun peek out yesterday.

    Daltrey had a good day yesterday in terms of getting most of his dinner in his belly rather than scattered. Poco and Jaz are like the family dogs when there's a baby in the house. They know that a youngster means more food for them. I am amazed at how fat they are this time of year.

    Hey -- when you bring my trailer & feed, can you please bring a blanket that will fit Daltrey? LMK if you don't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful for all that rain, but it sure was nice to see the sun peek out yesterday.

    Daltrey had a good day yesterday in terms of getting most of his dinner in his belly rather than scattered. Poco and Jaz are like the family dogs when there's a baby in the house. They know that a youngster means more food for them. I am amazed at how fat they are this time of year.

    Hey -- when you bring my trailer & feed, can you please bring a blanket that will fit Daltrey? LMK if you don't have one.

    ReplyDelete