A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Rain rain, go away, come again some other.....week.

Yesterday we got swept with bands of rain.  Nothing too bad at all, but it left the ground pretty wet, and kept raining solidly every so often.  Kinda weird weather really.  It would be sunny and nice, then get cloudy, rain like the dickens, then clear up and repeat.  So, no riding yesterday.

This morning I got up, and the arena was "almost dry".  Nice, just need to till it, and away I will go.  Of course, I'm out of diesel for the tractor.  Boo.  Get Diesel, fill tractor, check arena.  STILL almost dry.  Trim horse, wait an hour, check arena... no change.

GAH!  I WANT TO RIDE!

No, really.  I'm craving the feel of a nice working trot, or a lovely mustang loping along willingly, or even my baby Scorch.  I haven't managed to ride him myself yet!  It's sunny and nice.... and I'm making trips out to check the arena footing for slipperiness.

So, currently mom is out tilling the arena.  I have 1.5 hours of day light left, and it looks like once it's tilled it just might be ride-able.  I'm just about to call it a "rain delay" and work Monday instead.  No way I'm gonna get 3 client horses, plus my own ridden in an hour and a half and give any kind of attention to them.

Know what I'm doing instead?  Paper work.  I hate paper work.

I swear, my next purchase is an indoor arena.......

Right after I win the lottery.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you - the indoor arena lottery's looking pretty good right now!

    ReplyDelete