A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, November 22, 2010

So I've been bad about blogging....

Because I'm trying to get a cold.  I apologize to the horse owners for not having updated y'all.  Every one is doing great though.

Lucily I don't really HAVE a cold yet.  I just have the annoying symptoms of coughing, sneezing, and being OH so tired.  There's nothing worse then riding a horse while on cold meds, so I just don't do it.  Most of the horses are at the point where I feel that mom can do good with them, so if I relapse tonight, she'll ride them tomorrow, and give me her opinions.  Lets hope that's not necessary.  I'm a real baby when I'm sick and can't ride!  No one wants to see that!

Huck and Rooster have been enjoying the cooler weather, playing and running about in the evenings.  They make sure to give me a near heart attack at least once a day (making me think they are going to run into a fence, or performing crazy turns on the fly), but under saddle both of them have been perfect gentlemen.  Rooster is still a bit tense at unexpected things, and Huck is still lazy, but I have nothing really to complain about.  I really am enjoying riding them, and being able to slack off while in the saddle.

Lady is starting to round more often, and more consistently.  She is accepting the bit rather readily after a brief warm up session (a few laps at the walk to stretch out, and then a lift of the hands to remind her to take the bit).  On Friday, my mother rode her, so I could watch her progress from the ground, and Lady was round more often then hollow.  She's accepting the cues from any rider it seems (YAY, because it's always hard to check that unless you have someone else ride the horse that can give the cues) and my mother is ready to steal her!  We did have an issue with a motorcycle speeding past the arena though.

My arena is next to the road, and while mom was working with her, some punk (aren't all people younger then you and having fun a "punk"?) on a bike came screaming up.  Thank goodness he saw the horses, let off the gas, and coasted past.  Lady did a spook in place, and a calm pat reassured her.  When the young biker came back past, he was very polite, and coasted past as quietly as possible.

Rooster on the other hand is NOT happy about school busses.  He's sure that those yellow monsters are there to eat him, but again, his "emergency brake" is working.  He peters out, turns, faces the problem, and looks to his rider to reassure him.  I haven't yet had any type of bolt or buck from him, so I'm hoping this is a sign that we're past that problem.

Oddly, not a single horse minds the trains, helicopters, or garbage trucks that rumble past.

I admit that because I've been trying to get sick, I have been a bit lazy with working the horses.  I've stuck to the arena, and concentrated on things we knew.  I took Saturday off, instead of my normal Monday, so that I could sleep the weekend away and start to feel better.  Today I'm still a bit groggy, but in MUCH better shape.  So it's back into the saddle for me after 2 days off, and there should be a blog post tonight or tomorrow morning about today's rides.

1 comment:

  1. Jaz and I had a nice ride by ourselves on Sunday. Just relaxing and no drama, just the way we like it. I have the cutest pic of Baby D hanging over the front gate just as I was about to open it.

    I'm baking pies on Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete