A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

To be Thankful

Thanksgiving is a day to reflect on what we have to be thankful for, and personally, I have quite a list.

I am thankful for my family.  My parents who have supported my crazy dream of working full time with horses.  My mother who has become as addicted to the idea as I am, and works just as hard every day for, often, very little back.  My Father who got me addicted to horses in the first place.  My brother, who tolerates my moods, and never fails to surprise me when he gives willingly of himself.  My sister-in-law, who keeps my brother in line, and reminds both of us that we shouldn't kill each other at holidays.

And of course, I'm thankful for Jae.  He is the unsung hero of Iron Ridge Sport Horses.  From pushing me when I need it, to kicking me off the computer, and making me quit working at the end of the day.  Welding fences, driving posts, repairing the latest broken thing - that must be fixed NOW, holding a horse, running a video camera, and all the other myriad of jobs he does, with out ever a word of complaint.  Every time I worry about taking him for granted, I realize that I just can't.  He does so much in so many ways for myself, and my family.

I'm thankful for my friends: Leah, Kris, Sarah.  Y'all keep me sane after a long week, and help me remember what it's like to do the horse thing for FUN.  Any time I feel insecure, they somehow manage to say the right thing and put it all back in perspective, with out ever making me feel like I don't fit because horses are my job.  And of course, a BIG thank you to Leah.... the pies are YUMMY!

And, I'm thankful for my clients.  From Heather and Stephanie (they kinda cross over from client to friends really) to Tony, Erica, Bill, and every one else I have been working with this year.  In the past 3 years I have experienced some of the worst clients ever, and now, I am so lucky to have the best.

And of course, I'm thankful for my lifestyle.  I make my living doing what I love best.... HORSES!  Our business started in 2005, and was going well until 2008 when things got tight.  In 2009, I was sure that the end was near, but decided to give it through the end of 2010 before selling the best of my horses and closing the business for good.

In March, sales began to pick up.  Through the summer, I have never experienced such a busy year, and with such wonderful clients!  August slowed down, and I prepared for the "slow" season, only to be shocked as business picked up again in October!  Currently, I am struggling to fit all of my work into a day, and happy to do it!  I wake up in the morning happy, and get to head out to the barn to ride horses.  That's my JOB!  I know I will never get rich doing this, but each time a client smiles.... from buying her newest horse, to riding a horse he thought he'd never be able to control, there's no feeling like that.  And to realize that I love every second of it.  I am truly thankful for that.




And, well..... I'm also really thankful that I know people who can cook.  From Leah's pies, to Jae's turkey cooking in the oven.  I expect to get real fat and happy this evening.  Here's hoping that all of you are as blessed as I am, and wise enough to appreciate your good fortune.

1 comment:

  1. That turkey of Jae's sounds pretty good. Someone else cooked this year and we had tur-duck-en. That is an unholy combo wherein a chicken is shoved inside a duck, shoved inside a turkey. I was not impressed.

    In all seriousness, I thank God every day for you and your family. You were literally the answer to a desperate plea to the heavens from an overwhelmed and clueless first-time horse owner. I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for you guys. Dead in a ditch, I always say. You've taught me every good and practical thing I know about horses, and I'm grateful. Thank you for all you continue to do for me.

    ReplyDelete