A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Farrier day!

Oh the weather outside was frightful
And a fire'd be so delightful...

But PLEASE no SNOW!

Today was farrier day.  And when my farrier showed up, it wasn't too bad out.  Temps in the high 50s, I was able to close the barn door, and get out of the wind, and all was well.  But as the day (er evening) went on, I realized that I had made a big mistake.  There's me holding the filly, in nothing but jeans, a long sleeve, and a jacket.  No gloves, no insulated coveralls, and no hat!

By the time we were done, I basically just wrote the check and kicked the poor farrier out.  Now, how sad is it that he's in a T-Shrt, and just fine?  Bah, northern boys.  Even my Canadian had on a jacket and a touque!

Most of our trims today were client horses.  That lovely little filly up there is Dots.  She's been here for about a month now, and I've been working with her on her halter training.  She stood like a champ for the farrier, and we only had one little incident where she decided that she was bored and ready to go do something more fun (like eat hay).

Of course, being this cold, most of my horses were not wanting to stand still.  Even Ash, my 20 year old mare was fidgeting in the cross ties.  And my rides earlier today were a bit... faster then normal.

Huck and Rooster were both pretty fresh.  They didn't want to amble, but instead picked up a nice marching step.  Again, they were both just as pretty as you please under saddle, and a whole lot of "just what you'd want" in their work outs.... except just a bit faster.  It was fun!  Picking up the canter was easy.  I assume that's because faster means warmer.  There's not much more I can do with them.  While I love having them around, from here on out, it's mostly exercise riding, and making sure that they don't forget what they learned.  I've ridden both with other horses now, and have started adding "fun" things into the arena to play with, and haven't had any bad reactions at all from them.  We've ridden in a few different locations around my property, and it's all just the same ol' same ol.  Nothing but good.

 I'm kinda expecting a blow up or something from them soon, but thank goodness, they seem to have no interest in anything but a few "good boys" and pats!  I mean, a horse can't be THAT good for THAT long.

Hanna on the other hand - who I still need to find some time to write an intro on - has decided that she doesn't want to be caught consistently.  She's fine for feed, but work time, and she's running around with her tail up.  It's not a big deal, and she'll get over it real fast.  So far though, I've learned that Hanna is very tolerant of most things, and probably next week I'll start getting into the real "learning" part.  For this week, it's been a lot of "here's a new thing, how do you feel about that" and finding a base line for her training to start from.

As for me, I'm a complete Popsicle!  I've been inside an hour, and am still not thawed out.  Yes, for my northern friends, it's true, I am a WHIMP about the cold, but I have learned how to deal with it.  If I had put on the proper clothing, I wouldn't be whining right now.  As it is.... there's a bubble bath with MY name on it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment