A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Something old, and a whole lot of NEW!

Well, something old: Rooster wouldn't let me catch him today.  Kinda.  It all started out fine; I went out to catch him, he walked up as pretty as you please, and put his nose right in the halter. And then something happened.  I'm not really sure what it was that happened, but it was something.

Rooster spooked out of the halter (it wasn't buckled yet) and bolted across his paddock.  I have no idea if it was the fact that I had my riding helmet and sunglasses on (both black and shiny today, not my normal blue one) or if it was my coat.  I've noticed that some horses hate red.  My coat is black and red.  My coat also has more zips and velcro on it then you can shake a stick at.  Ok, plus it's thin, form fitting, and kevlar padded in all the right places (made for dirt bikes, perfect for horses!).

What ever it was, Rooster was having NONE of it.  Hey, it could have just been a bad day.  Either way, I spent 30 minutes trying to catch that bad boy.  When I finally did catch him, it was as if it never happened.

And as for the new... well I have a lot of it!  Here's a small example:
This is Bumper.  A few nights ago, Jae heads out to start feeding while I am finishing up my paperwork.  There's a nasty cold front blowing in, and well, I hate the cold, so I wasn't in a rush.  Then Jae comes back inside and says, "we have a problem in the barn, and it's about this big" (holding his hands about 6 inches apart).  I'm thinking, a laceration?  But HOW!

Yeah, it's that cute little kitten up there.  Don't know where he came from, but we can guess.  Feral cats often have litters around our place, and wean the kitties in the barn.  Well, since there's always cat food out, it kinda makes sense.  So the little fuzz bucket was shivering, cold, and VERY vocal about it.  Jae managed to wrangle him up, and come to find out, he's as sweet as can be.  Poor guy was cold too, and shivered for almost 2 hours after making it inside.

So sweet he's cuddling with my neck as I am typing.  He was also in kinda bad shape.  Fleas SO bad, plus ear mites, plus worms.  His little gums were almost white.  Now, after all those are handled, he's eating like a pig, loves all the dogs, and still screams a ton.  Any time the food bowl is empty, he's mewing at someone.  Spoiled brat!  And he sleeps a LOT.  I am pretty sure he was anemic.

He will be properly vaccinated, and neutered just as soon as possible.  I said he's going to be a barn cat, but I'm rethinking that.  This one isn't smart......

Because he has never met a stranger, regardless of species.  Such as the next new thing around here:
Such a deceiving picture!  This is Moose.  Moose's head is above my counters, and he weighs in some where between 120 and 140 pounds.  Sweet as can be though!

See, I've always said that I wouldn't refuse a blue merle dane, but the only problem with danes is that they have tails.  Too many tails in one house, and things get wrecked!  Well.....he is blue merle, he's a dane, and he had his tail removed because he kept injuring it. 

I got a call from Amy, one of the ladies who takes lessons from my mom.  She says "so, I know you aren't into little dogs, but what about a dane?"  Within 30 minutes, I was like, okey dokey!  (Sure didn't hurt that Jae is like, Yeah sure, why not?).  I figure, I am "down" a few dogs, since we've lost a few to old age, and I've been pretty lucky since my standards are "bigger then what I have now".  Kinda easy to rule out 90% of dogs with that.

So, Moose has made his way into my life.  Ok, I didn't need another dog, but... he sleeps on the bed!  He's adorable.  I mean, look at the stupid ears!  I just love that.

And then, there's the new client horse in for training:

This is Hanna.  Not the best picture of her, but she didn't want to be caught AGAIN today.  I tried tieing her up for the picture (hence the halter) and she was only giving me lovely rump shots.  So, here's the best for today.

Hanna is a coming 3 year old paint filly, who's here to be trained to go under saddle.  So far, her main lessons have been in the very basics.  Getting caught, no really, getting caught, standing for all of the normal things like grooming, picking feet, bridling, and such (she doesn't want to stand still) and the very basics of lunging.  Hanna does not like whips, so um, we have 2 speeds: super fast, and stop.

She will be with me for about 90 days, and y'all will get to read all about her progress.

And the last thing that even qualifies as new, is a friend's horse that I am working on selling.  This is Nakai:


He's a cute little (like 14.2) black mustang.  Very sweet boy, but a bit of an attitude.  I have been putting time in on him, and so far he's coming along nicely.  He stands good tied now, he just got a trim all the way around, and he takes the bridle like an old pro.  Now that he's safe to work with on the ground, I think I will be adding in some hours to get him riding.

See, Nakai and his owner are just one of those pairs that don't click.  It's not either one's fault, but they need "someone else".  I'm very proud of his owner for admitting this, and hence, am working hard to help her find Nakai his own home.

And soon... I'll have one more new thing to be proud of.....
Hard to see, but if you look to the right of the equipment, you can see a bottom rail being put on the fence line. 
And here it's on the left side.  Almost directly in the center is a small thing in a brownish orange jacket.  That's my dear Jae, working until the sun goes down, to get my fence up!

Not much longer, and we'll start hanging farm signs around the place.  I'm really pretty excited!

5 comments:

  1. wow look at that dane!!! He's GORGEOUS!! Him and SirKitty are going to be fast friends that's for sure!

    I have to giggle at tying. My Rosie pulled out the hitching post the last time I tied her. That will teach someone to not use concrete at a boarding barn that has heavy drafts as boarders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitty is very cute and I love the Dane! Nakai is the kind of horse that I like - short and sturdy. My daughter would love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. The kitty and the Dane are too much - extremes! I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all. The Dane and the Kitty decided that I needed more pets =) I have to say, it's been fun having them around, and so far, only one of the "old" dogs is having any problems at all. Anvil is a bit jealous. Nothing too serious, he just needs his personal time with me now.... and Moose, the Dane, isn't sure he agrees. Moose thinks he should be in EVERYTHING.

    I'm hoping that someone decides that they want Nakai. Really a NICE horse, who needs his own person, and someone to put some hours into him.

    And, I have to add here that Rooster hasn't done the run away thing since. I have NO idea what set him off. I can make a ton of guesses, but I don't think anything about me was new or scary. I know some horses (at least mine) react more to red shades, and my jacket is red and black. The velcro sound might have been unexpected (at the wrists, so close to his ear and maybe it crackled?) but I have not been able to repeat the situation and get the same reaction.

    It has been super busy here lately, which I'm hoping is signs of good things. Still have a ton on my plate, so I'm taking the mustang owner's inadvertent advice, and not accepting a new horse until Jan 1 for training. Going to get the sale horses all settled in their new homes, get the new SDHR website up, and take a TON of current pictures and videos of the other horses we have here.

    I'm just hoping I can keep up on the blogging as well. So if I tend to be a few days between updates, now ya know why!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief, that dog weighs more than I do.

    ReplyDelete