A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

And it begins again

After a nice slow down here at Iron Ridge for the winter, things are starting to pick back up.  The horses are more then ready to be back to work, the pasture is STILL green, and we've had a few lovely days in the 70s (that's 20*C for my metric friends).

We've had more snow then normal too, which to any one who knows me, means LOTS of whining.  And of course, the flu hit me.  I have been SICK for almost 2 weeks now.  I feel like a walking NyQuil commercial. But, enough rest, a bit of sunlight, and some good homemade chicken noodle soup (thanks to Jae) and I'm up and getting back at it.

Some of our familiar faces will be moving on.  Crash, AKA Little Red Corvette found his perfect family, and is now settling in nicely up in Arkansas.  The match was amazing, and I'm just thrilled for all of them!  I always love it when the right person find the right horse, and the horse agrees.

Crash will soon be a nice little trail horse, and after meeting his owners, I'm very sure he will be a very spoiled trail horse!  He seems to be getting along with his new pasture mates already, and hopefully he's exactly what they wanted.  If he takes after his older sister, Melody, they will be shocked at how nice of a ride this little guy is!

Nox, AKA Velvet Equinox will be heading to Livin Large Farms later this spring.  Yeah, it's an old picture of her, but somehow Nox always manages to NOT be in pictures.  I have tons of shots of her tail, leg, nostril, but nothing current of her.  Need to make sure I fix that before she goes.  She's a lovely girl now, coming 3, but on the smaller side.  Looks like she's only going to mature to be around 14.2 hands.  I think that she might be a potential Stonewall broodmare, as well as a riding horse for the family.  With Heather at Livin Large Farms, I never have to worry about good care for the horses though, and I love that I get constant updates!

And Melody looks like she may become employeed as a 4H pony!  I'm thrilled about this.  She has met a young girl that is in love with her, and it works both ways.  I worried that Melody would end up hotter blooded, like her dam, but she has proven time and time again that she is as sweet and mellow as her sire.  I keep being surprised by this one, and her sensible manners and amazing gaits!  I expect great things from her, and I'm sure I'll be invited to see a few of their shows.

Now, I'm also going to get to be a part of Melody's continued training!  I love it when the horses stick around, and become more of an extended family, then a long lost relative.  Even those who have moved quite a distance away still send me updates.  While I can't see them, I LOVE knowing that they are ok.  And of course, I always have space for them if they ever need to come back. 

And there's more news coming soon..... but here's a teaser!


I'll let you figure out what that is, and how it matters to the future of Iron Ridge Sport Horses, and the Sugarbush Draft Horses.  Feel free to speculate!

I have some amazing new horses in for training, and there's a theme this month!  Gaited horses!  We have 2 TWHs, both big black, and very sweet, that are here for a refresher course, and a young Tiger horse (gaited Appaloosa colored gelding) who needs to learn to carry a rider.  I'm going to get VERY spoiled with so much smooth motion going on!

So, with all the new things in the works here, I'm back to blogging!  I'm happy to have something of interest to be able to say, and it's very possible that I'll be blogging every one's eyes out.  Between the exciting changes to the breeding program, the wonderful clients and horses to train, and our weekend fun visits and lesson riders, Iron Ridge is starting to look active again.

Not much longer, and the grass will pick up, the flowers will bloom, and it will be truly spring!  Although, I have no foals due this year, I am still excited about spring.  I can't wait to look out and see this:

Instead of this:




9 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of the weather! My brain is fried so no speculation from me, but I'm eagerly awaiting the news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do want to hear about the Tiger Horse... There's too much going on. I feel so out of touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Stonewall Scarlett's 2010 son, a fewspot half Knabstrupper? if not, it sure looks like him! But I thought Mike was hanging on to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope Cheri' that's not a Stonewall. The foal is not white, and has no LP.

    And Leah, it's been a good week for me. Too bad the cold is coming back, and I'm going to miss a few days of work next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what that baby is! But I'm not spilling the beans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No! Spill the beans!! =-D I'm dying of curiosity and am starting to feel like a stalker with all the checking back in I do to see if there is an answer, LOL! He's a cutie-pie,...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't spill the beans YET.... because it's still... lets just say, a work in progress. Never fear, there will be a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't spill the beans YET.... because it's still... lets just say, a work in progress. Never fear, there will be a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that Stonewall Scarlett's 2010 son, a fewspot half Knabstrupper? if not, it sure looks like him! But I thought Mike was hanging on to that one!

    ReplyDelete