A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

We had snow, and I got sick!

Yes, it really does snow in Texas.  On Sunday, we got about 4 inches of snow.  Not bad!  I figured it would all melt by noon, and be a passing thing, so hurried out to grab pictures.

Well, it didn't.  Until yesterday we still had snow on the ground!  Temperatures were barely above freezing at the warmest, and well below at night.  Of course, this means that all of our water pipes in the barn FROZE.  Yes, poor Jae and I were spending our time wandering out and deicing taps, and bucketing water a few times a day.

And, because of my multiple (and very wet) trips outside, I ended up catching a cold.  My mother always warned me about that!  So for the last 3 days, I have been doped up on cold meds (to any client I talked to during those days, I REALLY appologize for being so muddle headed!).

 The new dog Moose is fitting in.  Moose is a Great Dane that came to live with us as my Christmas present!  Well, that's what I have decided he was at any rate.  He loves the life on a farm, and is a very active and loyal dog.  This means that he runs and has a ball, but never really leaves my line of sight.  Perfect!  Moose thought the snow was the most fun he's had in a while, except that he really was NOT pleased about the mud.  Yeah, he's a complete whimp.

My other dogs though, decided that they wanted nothing more then to stay inside, where it was warm, and sleep the cold weather away.  Suzie is starting to show her age, and this cold icky stuff makes her joints ache.  She has a blanket to wear outside, but it doesn't seem to be enough.  So, she figures that since Moose is guarding me, she doesn't HAVE to stay out at long, and has taken to running home about 5 minutes after we head out.  Hey, as a 10 year old Rottweiler, she's allowed to be a bit fickle like that!

Sadly, my barn really is set up for warm weather, not this cold gross stuff.  Those open sides are a blessing for most of the months, letting a cool breeze flow through the barn.  Since we usually only get about 2 weeks each year of freezing weather, I have decided that we can learn to deal with it.

Well, except for the freezing water pipes!  It seems that all of our plumbing to the barn is about 12 inches deep, at most.  Not exactly a good plan in my mind.  So poor Jae gets to work on that.  Well, when his OTHER projects are finished!

Surprisingly though, the arena didn't fare too badly.  Here you can see down the "barn yard hill" and into the arena and pasture beyond.  Yeah, it's all a white mess.  But with the weather below freezing, we had a nice bit of time before it turned from hard dust to mud.

Now, Jae is a Canadian, so all of this is "normal" to him  For me, having an entire week of snow on the ground is just freaky!  I had no idea that "mud" froze!  I figured that the ground always was warmer below, and so maybe a bit on the top would freeze, but nothing deeper.  HA!

Jae has been a complete sweet heart though.  I really hate the cold, and he would sneak out and handle the watering or throwing hay.  Here is how I found him the first day it snowed:


He said the "babies" (technically 2 year olds now) needed lunch to help stay warm!  I really love this picture of him and Tori.  I'm pretty sure he'd kill me if he knew I ever shared a picture of him online (he's the wonderful shy type like that) but somehow this picture just says "life on a horse farm" to me.

Hope everyone else is staying warm... wish I was!

10 comments:

  1. Frozen med = good mud. Tho the footing isn't so great. You get no sympathy from me or others her in the frozen north. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Picture of your man and Tori!! I LOVE IT! It's frame worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that pic of Jae. Need to trade out blankets for D. His butt sticks out :-) And my penpal sent me the book War Horse and a DVD on how they made the National Theatre production for the stage. You'll love it. Sure wish I could afford a trip to see it on Broadway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a "snow storm" here in South Alabama last year. Although it was not quite as intense as yours, it created quite a mess in an area that so rarely sees any snow (and I'll definitely pass on a repeat of the experience). I'm with you though; I don't like the freezing cold temps at all! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with Moose!

    Can you drip the faucets in the barn? We used to live in a very old house in SC that had no insulation. On nights where the temps plunged below freezing would drip all of the faucets and that kept the pipes from freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to pass the Stylish Blogger award on to you, stop by my blog to pick it up :)

    Have to confess, I haven't read this post. I am reading from start to current and since I'm new here I haven't caught up yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to pass the Stylish Blogger award on to you, stop by my blog to pick it up :)

    Have to confess, I haven't read this post. I am reading from start to current and since I'm new here I haven't caught up yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a "snow storm" here in South Alabama last year. Although it was not quite as intense as yours, it created quite a mess in an area that so rarely sees any snow (and I'll definitely pass on a repeat of the experience). I'm with you though; I don't like the freezing cold temps at all! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frozen med = good mud. Tho the footing isn't so great. You get no sympathy from me or others her in the frozen north. =)

    ReplyDelete