A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ok, this is, you know... Texas?

Yep, that's green grass peeking through.  But now, the white isn't so white, and it's all turning to mud quickly.  We got powdered ice on Tuesday, snow of Friday, it's Sunday, and it's supposed to "sleeze"  (Snow, sleet, drizzle) AND on Tuesday night and Wednesday, we are getting... MORE SNOW!

WHAT?!?  This is Texas, land of the hot summers, and no winter!  I want my 100 degrees thank you (I actually like it until just before 100).

I kinda feel like I'm in an episode of the twilight zone.  Someone moved us to Ontario, and forgot to mention it.  I mean....this is like REAL winter!

So far, we had the pipes freeze, like, well under the ground.  That lead to one of the faucets breaking off.  Which of course allowed us to see that the PVC used wasn't really PVC.  It's electrical conduit.  Yeah, that kinda explains so much of our freezing problem!  So Jae now has to dig up ALL the pipe that runs from the main to the barn, and replace it.  I decided this could wait until, you know... normal weather.

BB (Black Boy) and Beaudreax (I'm gonna have to steal that name for a future horse) have been saints.  Grain, ok.  Move so you can clean my water?  Ok.  Let you pick out my feet?  Ok.  Be nice and easy walking out on the ice.. ok.  I mean, they are wonderful.  Granted.... I'd much prefer to RIDE them.  The last few days I have gotten the best shows of their gaits.  WONDERFUL movers.  Both are well settled in, and act like they have been here foreever.

And Cruz.... he decided to settle in with a bang.  One night he's nice, but still just tense.  The next morning, he is all "ok hug me, I love you, and is that grain for me?"  He's much more relaxed, and started to ask for attention now!  We've also gotten to work with blankets, and scary things (throwing ice out of the buckets... scary!).  He's a doll.  And again... I'm so frustrated because I can't ride.  I'm living on what used to be an ice rink, and is now a mud wrestling pit!

So, needless to say, not a whole lot of fun or interesting things happening. Now, could someone please turn on the outside heater?  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. LOL..I tried to ride on Friday after we had our big snow. Everyone was telling me not to, but I'm stubborn!! lol...I got Frosty all ready and mounted up. I wanted to ride to my friend's house down the road. It was a little dicey in the yard - some parts were ok, but Frosty got down to ice a few times. But when we got to the road she put one foot on it and said NO WAY! I agreed with her, we went back in the yard and I put her up..sigh. Well, I tried. I've ridden in the snow but the ice is impossible! Thank goodness it is finally melting. Hopefully even if we get more snow it won't stay cold enough to keep it as long as we've had this last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad Cruz is settling in nicely. You know what, maybe this week of snow is a good thing for him. He'll be more mentally ready when you do start his riding training. He has learned to trust you now, and that's great. I think you will really like his willing attitude when you start his training. He is a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to see that my boys have settled in and are behaving. BB thinks he is the boss most of the time and keeps the other horses in check. I miss them both and look forward to seeing you soon.

    Lillian

    ReplyDelete