A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Training updates delayed (Updated with the full story)

 My apologies to my clients, friends, and everyone else...

My father had a rather brilliant accident today, and is currently at the hospital.  I may be delayed in updates.  I will catch up as soon as possible though.

***********************************UPDATE***********************************

After getting a bit of work done in the morning, I took some time off around lunch to do the necessary running around for the farm.  Picked up 1400 pounds of grain, some hay, some minerals, a few odds and ends, and returned home.  Then I realized that my dog was low on her seizure meds (as in she didn't have enough for that evening!).  With my truck filled with so much stuff, and only 2 hours until the clinic closed (and at least a 30 minute drive there) I decided to just borrow my parent's SUV.  Grab the meds, and I'd be home with plenty of time to work my last 2 horses.  I wouldn't get to my own horses, but that's ok.

Moose and I headed out to the clinic while Jae stayed to get some work on the barn and empty the truck out.  Now, I'm a paranoid ninny, and I NEVER leave my horses at home with out a means to make it to the vet in a hurry.  (this all ends up making sense)

Well, I grabbed the keys from my mother, loaded up my dog, and away we went.  I didn't exactly SAY that I left Jae and my truck behind, because silly me... I figured it was obvious.  It wasn't, and I'm not sure why I thought that, but I did.

So, we get the meds, I got Moose weighed (He's 128.7 pounds, I figured he'd be so much bigger then that) and I headed back home.  As I went to turn onto the main highway, my phone rang.  It was in my back pocket, and I was sitting on it.  Since I can only do 10.5 things at once, and driving is at LEAST 8, and Moose is probably 2, I felt that digging around for a phone call was a bad idea.  A few seconds later a good song comes on, I cranked up the music, and Moose and I were jamming out to a relaxing drive back.

As I get closer to home, my phone rang again, and this time I was where I could grab it.  It was my father. 

Dad: Where are you?
Me: A couple blocks away, why?
Dad: I hurt myself and need to go to the hospital.
Me: Almost there, only a minute or so away.  WHAT did you DO??
Dad: I cut myself with a saw.

Ok.  Not good.  I drove past the barn, with Jae on the back side up on a ladder.  Rolled down the window and said "Dad tried to kill himself, I'm not sure how bad" and turned the corner.  Pulled up in the yard, with the truck as close to the door as possible.  I looked up to see my mother running FAST across the boy's paddock back to us. 

We're a lazy family.  We only run for one reason: blood... lots of blood.

Got the meds, got my wallet, got the dog, and went inside.  Dad is on a chair with blood all over, holding something on his leg, and the dogs are everywhere trying to help too hard.  Poor Hobo was SO upset that his play toy wasn't happy.  He was being a total pain in his concern.

Did one of those "how bad is this in a glance" assessments, and began moving.  I called dogs as I went to grab first aid supplies.  Locked dogs in any room I could, got towels and bandages as I was moving through.  Mom is back inside by this time, and just shaking from adrenaline.  I told her to calm down, and breathe.

Huh, "cut himself with a saw".  That is really a rather vague thing to say.  Instead, he lacerated his leg with a circle saw.  Luckily, the guide was set to only about an inch deep, but there across his thigh was a 6-8 inch laceration, and yep, it was an inch deep.  The medial side of the injury was right in the area of the femoral artery.  This falls under "seriously not good".

Luckily though, there was no arterial blood apparent.  The wound wasn't bleeding nearly as bad as I expected, which was another good sign.  My father takes blood pressure medication....so it wasn't all rosey.  Blood pressure medication slows clotting, and means he's going to bleed even worse.

One pressure bandage later (clean rag and vet wrap) and he was ready to head to the hospital.  Not sure why they hadn't called 911, but dad did NOT want a ride on an ambulance.  I asked why they didn't take my truck.  I got blank looks.  Come to find out, they didn't even know Jae was still there and working, let alone that the truck keys were available.  They had waited for me to get home thinking they had no other ride!  Ok, fine, what ever, just get him to ER.

Mom headed off to the ER.  Jae and I headed out to take care of everything else.  With a storm coming in, we had tools to put up, horses to care for, and Jae was still working on the barn.  AHHHH!  Not enough hours in a day!  The first thing we did, of course, was head out to where dad cut himself.

Our first concern was making sure that we had a basic idea of what had happened (because dad was in shock) and I wanted to make sure the doctors at the ER had some basics.  Oh boy.  Lets just say he did a very bone headed and unsafe thing, and the scene proved it.  He's in SO MUCH TROUBLE when he gets home.  Luckily, there was little there that a doc couldn't figure out by seeing the wound. 

I didn't get Poco or Cruz worked, but we did get all the horses in, fed, and all the tools and feed put away.  Around 9pm we stopped to eat, and finished up around midnight.  The whole time I was updating family and friends, and getting updates from Mom.

My father got lucky.  He got SO lucky.  The guide depth on the circle saw had been set at about an inch depth.  The blade only protruded this far from the casing.  The blade was dull, missing a few teeth, and rusty.  My father was in a very unsafe position while using the tool, and he appears to be holding the blade guard open.  When the dull blade hit a more dense area, the blade bounced back at him.  Because he was holding the guard open, it didn't fall across the blade, and so instead cut the human leg under it.  In most cases this could have resulted in him lacerating his leg to the bone - or worse cutting it off - except for that little guide being set to only an inch deep.

In the end, my father received 3 units of blood to replace what was lost.  He got a total of 17 sutures, many of which were complex sutures (they closed multiple layers of tissue).  Of course, he also got a tetanus shot, and a night at the hospital.  24 hours later, we're waiting to see if he will be released to come home today.

So now, my rant:

People, power tools can be DANGEROUS!  Please do not circumvent the safety features on them, even if you think it will make the job easier.  If you can't do it the way the tool is designed, then re-evaluate what you are doing!  This could have been a life threatening or even life ending accident.  A cut to a major artery can cause you to bleed to death in as little as 3 minutes!  Is it really worth THAT just to get the job done 5 minutes faster?

And thank you so much for every one that sent thoughts of concern.  Daddy will be ok.... and I am SO thankful for that.  I just can't believe his good luck with the guide setting, and that he still has a leg to hurt.  I admit, I'm a bit shocked, and a bit not (my father is known for not always doing things safely) but VERY happy that this was just a "minor" incident.  It could have been so much worse.

11 comments:

  1. Sending good wishes and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he's ok. Let us know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your father is OK. Good wishes coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... that could have been SO much worse. Thank goodness it wasn't and your dad will be home to get in trouble from you, Jae and your mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad he's okay and that you all were in a position to help quickly. He needs to be grounded from power tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeek, so scary! We were just talking about saws on AareneX's blog, so I think I'll link this post in the comments. I'm very very glad to hear your dad's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rant is very timely, as we are just starting to cut the plywood walls for my new barn and I'm a new power-tool user. Hence, hyper-careful!

    Tell your dad to be careful, and we're all thinking healing thoughts for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rant is very timely, as we are just starting to cut the plywood walls for my new barn and I'm a new power-tool user. Hence, hyper-careful!

    Tell your dad to be careful, and we're all thinking healing thoughts for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... that could have been SO much worse. Thank goodness it wasn't and your dad will be home to get in trouble from you, Jae and your mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your father is OK. Good wishes coming your way.

    ReplyDelete