A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I run'd out of daylight!

Ok, I have 2 new horses to introduce, but I didn't get pictures taken, because by the time I was done getting all my work done, the sun was setting fast!

Beaudreaux has a booboo that will keep him from working for a couple of days, but he's really being pretty good about it all.  Black Boy, well.... his owner came to see him today.  Naturally, he was "bad".  Now, BB's bad is not that bad, but it's a bit annoying.  First he started "drifting" on the turns, and from there it got worse.  He wouldn't pick up a gait and instead tried to trot. 

On the upside, I learned a few things that I need to do with him.  One is to play with him first, offer him treats, and just hang out, and THEN try to work.  He kinda acted like maybe he thought work was done before we started.

Cruz has been getting drive and lay on him lessons, and he was SO tense about it, but is now calming down.  I'm hoping to be astride him by tomorrow.  Needless to say, I have been working him last every day.... just incase I bite it again.   He's not a bad boy at all, but I think he can only take 1 scary thing at a time, and some one on his back is it.  Add any other scary thing, and he has a melt down.  Poor sweet baby.

And Voodoo is my new training horse.  He's a lovely seal bay Saddlebred gelding.  Nice, tall, and oh so full of himself.  I planned to get pictures, but ... oops!  I have been pushing all of Voodoo's buttons this week to see what I need to work on first.  So far, it looks like it's just a whole lot of "do what I say, when I say".  He keeps hoping that if he is distracted, that I will give up.  HA!  But Voodoo is a very good boy and I like him.  He's not bad, just a bit spoiled.  Of course, all horses SHOULD be spoiled!

And my last horse to introduce is Ozzy.  He's a 15.1 hand ApHC chestnut snowcap gelding.  He's here to be evaluated, trained if needed, and then sold.  He's out of shape, out of work, and a bit LOVELY and sweet boy.  So far, I have only one thing to say about him, "he's so well mannered!".

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday, and so quick today.  I came in and passed out last night (and that long sleep made the sore muscles all better) and I'm running a few hours behind tonight.  The babies need their dinner!

Off to the barn I go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment