A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Weathermen! Bah!

Chance of scattered showers, but nothing too bad... supposedly.  Before I went to bed, the forecast said showers over night and in the morning, so naturally, with dark grey cloudy skies, I naturally started off on paperwork.  Those great jobs like invoices, websites, and such.  I hate paperwork.  I got all my running around finished up.

Then, it never rained.  I kept checking the radar, and the forecast, and decided I had enough of waiting.  I headed out.  First up was Jae's "lesson" on Poko. 

Jae walked out, grabbed his pony, and I got tack ready.  I pulled out a few options, just in case Jae preferred this bridle over that, or these reins over those.  Poko was a doll, got caught, and headed up at a nice march.  Tied him up, and Jae began prepping his pony.  Feet picked, body brushed, and just as he was brushing down the legs, we both felt a few drops.  Looked up and... we saw a large dark blob.

Ok, the storm was making a late entrance.

Checked the time, and my vet (for Cali's check up) was about to leave his clinic.  Better call, since my stocks are not under cover (yet).  Played some phone tag there, as the vet was already in my area at another farm call, and decided that since he was close, he'd just go ahead and drive by to see how bad it was.

No sooner was I off the phone then:
The skies opened up.  That's about 20 seconds after it started raining, and already that much water running!  From there, it only got worse.
I didn't even have time to get the horses pulled up (yeah, that's poor Quagga standing with his butt to the wind).  And just to make it more fun, pea sized hail!
But, before we even had the stall doors opened, and halters in hand........
It stopped.


The vet arrived shortly after, and Cali got her check up after all.  Jae didn't get to ride, and the arena is very gooey.  I think I missed my window, but I'll give it another hour then check.  The wind has picked up and things should dry out quickly.

I have to say, I spent 4 hours trying to avoid a 15 minute rain storm, and still managed to get nothing done.  Silly weathermen!  Noon is NOT "morning storms".

Although, I have to say the grass is VERY green all of a sudden, and we did need the rain, so except for it's late timing, I'm not complaining at all!


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your feelings about weathermen. Ours have been making terrible forecasts lately! They keep telling us we're gonna get wet stuff....and we either don't get it or only get a smidgen of what they predicted.
    Wow, that was a lot of water!

    ReplyDelete