A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A few ways to make your recently injured horse friend love you

Just act like my barn buddies! 

Since my injury I received a WONDERFUL visit from my friend Leah.  She arrived with super soft brownies that I can actually shove in this swollen mouth of mine.  Mr. Fry was even kind enough to let them (the brownies) leave the house.  Oh man, nothing makes the pain go away like chocolate.

And then I had more offers to help with chores then I can count.  Jae has been handling half of my work, and Nita (my mother) the rest.  But I know that if anything happens and I need more hands, those hands are only a few phone calls away.  Now, for most people that might not seem like all that big of a deal, but to me... WOW.  From shoveling poop to walking a colicy horse, or bandaging an injury, one of my biggest fears about being injured is that I might not be able to take care of my babies on my own.  Knowing that so many people have offered to help is just amazing to me.  Thank you all, and just so you know, it really does mean the world to me.

And then today, I had Kris show up and help with videos.  She grabbed, cleaned, groomed, tacked, and handled a couple of horses so that I could sit in my chair with the camera and get pretty pictures.  It doesn't sound like much, and handling horses for videos is always an under appreciated job, but it's WORK.  You have to push the horse just right to ask for a specific gait, and then stay out of the camera shot (because potential buyers don't want to see crazy ladies running with whips).  And did I mention running?  Yeah, up and down and back and forth across the arena!

And tomorrow I have a few more friends coming out.  Some to stop and say hi, some to get pictures of the ponies.  The work doesn't stop just because I'm hyped up on narcotics and antibiotics and ice packs.

Now, I'm not really the most social person in the world.  I have my horses, and my family, and figure that I really don't need much else to keep me happy.  But in the last week, I have been simply shocked by all the offers for help and well wishes.  Who knew that so many people cared!

So if you have ever wanted to show a barn buddy that you care, a few offers to help that you actually follow up on will do the trick every time!  Some of my friends do such sweet things as showing up early and feeding before I wake up (LOVE ya!) so I get a late morning at least once each week.  Or they help groom horses (with as many as I have that is a LOT of elblow grease).  So with me on the injured reserve list, I just wanted to take this chance to say THANK YOU for all y'all do.... it really does mean that much to me.

Either that, or my drugs are just that good.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I didn't offer my body up because as always (and like your mother), I'm on the edge of being crippled. It was all I could do to groom my two yesterday. Sounds like you're coming around.

    Mr. Fry found a tire for the trailer in Plano for $25!! I'm excited! Now, if we can just find another one that cheap for a spare.

    ReplyDelete