A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

If you've been wondering what I am up to ....

Well, I'm here to tell you it was been a wonderfully crazy spring time for me!  To start with, I am working on catching up on all my paperwork (ick!) that had been put off and put off.  I can't even remember off hand how many sets of transfers I have out to multiple different registries.  If it wasn't for the invention of the smart phone, I would seriously have already lost my mind.  As it is, my poor clients keep having to send me messages saying "Hey Heather, did you forget about........."

I love them, and can't thank them enough for reminding me!

Ok, but also, as you know I still have a couple of horses here in training.  Beaudreaux is being a good boy, and is a ton of fun to ride.  Black Boy has decided that ANY change at all is an excuse to act up.  Now, he's not doing horrible evil awful things, but he refuses to listen to me when I tell him that he HAS to be a saint for his person.  The last few rides (like all last week) were about listening to me, and doing what I say.  I can't say it always worked out, but I can say he hasn't tried to do anything worse then spin and bolt to the gate.  Beaudreaux on the other hand.... a total saint!  All he wants in life is a "good boy!"

Now later this week this little guy becomes a gelding.  Tomorrow actually.  He's as blue blooded as they come in ApHC, but no one has shown much of an interest.  Since I own both sire and dam, and the last thing I need is another intact man around here, well.... he'll make an amazing gelding.  He's just one of those sweet horses, and even as a stallion he hasn't realized that he should be anything other then super submissive, so I completely expect him to be working in our lesson program in a year or so.... if he doesn't sell! 

So Zire will get a month more of "baby time" and then he's going to start his saddle training.  With this guy, I expect it to be very uneventful.  I will of course also have updated pictures of him when that happens.

Also, out lovely lady Velvet will be heading to a new/old home for her.  I was contacted by her breeder, who would love to have her back.  I'm very happy about this, as she deserves to have a life long home, and with some one that will love her.  Velvet is a wonderful horse, but she just doesn't fit into my breeding program.  I have a lot of horses, and well, a horse that doesn't fit ends up being a horse that doesn't get enough attention.  It's just not fair to them to keep them.  At the same time, I was NOT about to let her go to someone that would not take the best care of her.  I got Velvet when she was in a bad spot, and very thin.  Even now she's a bit pushy at feeding time (understandable but not acceptable) and I promised her that she could live her forever rather then ever have to be in that position again.  All in all, this works out for all 3 of us, me, the breeder, and the horse!

And yesterday I ended up getting to deal with the joys of gas colic in one of my most sentimental horses.  Quagga was owned by my friend and mentor Sigrid Ricco, and when she passed away, he came here.  I love this horse and the foals he produces, so when he became very dramatic about feeling bad, I was very worried.  Drugs barely knocked the edge off, but since he didn't have an impaction, and seemed to be resolving, I was advised to wait before running to the surgical center.  A stead round of pain meds all night, and about 3am he decided he was fine. 

So this was Q today.  He's a total mess, but he's happy, alive, and no longer colicing!  I'm almost embarrassed to mention that he's supposed to be white.  I don't even know what his base coat color is yet, but I can tell you that he's a fewspot Appaloosa.  He's a very sweet and fun horse, and definately is one of those that grabs your heart.

And Poko got to have his first test as a lesson horse.  His rider is Amy, who was given a complete heads up about his issues, but is one of those "hey, that could be fun" types of riders.  She's got a good seat, and tons of nerves, so we tried it.  On top of it all, it was SUPER windy that day.  For 90% of the ride, Poko did really REALLY well.

Amy loved his canter, since he's smooth as glass and very easy on his commands (when he wants to be) so she felt like she could stay in the seat.  His trot is amazing.  But, sadly, he proved to be crazy Poko again, spooking at nothing more then a nice canter, and speeding up and dodging left, leaving his rider to eat some dirt.  Although, he's not very far from the ground at all.

All in all though, I am not shocked that he was spooky, since it was VERY windy (like 40 mph gusts).  But, with that said, he's still Poko, and will NEVER be a novice rider type of horse.

So, today, I decided to sneak in some picture time for one of my new sales horses.  This is Oz, or Ozzy.  He's ApHC registered as Honkytonk Beach Boy.  He's an 11 year old gelding that is being offered for sale through Iron Ridge for a client.  She's only asking $2000 for him (a steal if you ask me!).  He stands around 16.1 hands but I couldn't get a good measurement on him today, since after his bath he was shivering, and shaking horses are bad for exact measurements!

He is just as cute as can be, but has had some time off, hence the lack of working muscles.  Isn't he pretty though?  I have to admit, I find him to be very easy on the eyes!

So, with out writing too much of a book for my loyal friends, fans, clients, and you other people, that's a brief little recap of what's been going on.  Sadly, it's likely to be just this crazy for the next couple of weeks, so sadly the blog updates will be slower then usual.  As always, if you need me, please email or call (link at the top takes you to the Iron Ridge Sport Horses' page  with contact information).

You can also expect a lot of eye candy updates as well!  We're in the middle of updating ALL of the horses on the website, and adding new ones.  Even if you have no interest in buying, who doesn't like to see pretty ponies?  And I'm not biased at ALL, but mine are the prettiest!



2 comments:

  1. His marking are so close to Daltrey's. right down to the tipped ears. D's face is more irregularly splashed.

    Hope to make it Sunday, weather & Jaz's health permitting. We have an appt. with Gleason on Saturday morning for his cough, then gone the rest of the day with friends to TMS.

    Glad Q is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His marking are so close to Daltrey's. right down to the tipped ears. D's face is more irregularly splashed.

    Hope to make it Sunday, weather & Jaz's health permitting. We have an appt. with Gleason on Saturday morning for his cough, then gone the rest of the day with friends to TMS.

    Glad Q is OK.

    ReplyDelete