A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Was it a Full Moon?

Seriously?  With all the recent injuries being reported (my own included) is there something in the atmosphere, is the moon full, or did aliens contaminate our drinking water?

After 13 years of training horses, and a few more then that loving on them, I finally managed to do a seriously stupid thing (totally should have known better).  People with plenty of horse experience getting into freakishly bad spots they could not have predicted, a friend of mine had a relative escape calamity due to a series of interventions of fate (as in her brother is SO lucky). 

So my dear friends, what ever is out there causing all of this, please do your best not to add to it!  Be safe!  It's a lovely spring (here) and we should ALL be enjoying it, not laid up with broken bones and faces.  Take care of yourself, even if you're not superstitious why not be just a bit more careful then normal for a bit?  Who knows maybe it will become habit, and it sure isn't a bad thing!

And to every one that is now on the injured reserve list with me, here's hoping for fast recoveries and no complications.

7 comments:

  1. That would have to be MY brother, and yes, the fates definitely intervened.

    Trust me, I was extra cautious this weekend. I wore a helmet when antagonizing D yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has been a very long winter , and all including the animals are a bit hpped up and ready for spring.So sorry you and so many got hurt, it does serve as a very good reminder to the rest of us to be wise, careful and safe , and barring all that , hope for good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a full moon yesterday. Maybe now that the moon is waning things will settle down.
    I hope you are doing OK. It must hurt, a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been a very full moon. My sweet gelding got scared from a pack of dogs and reared up (a first). I think he lost his balance and we fell over backwards (I never thought of bailing!) I broke my leg, hurt my seatbones and stretched a finger muscle. Surgery and weeks of wheelchair riding is definitely putting a damper on my horse life. I haven't even been to the barn yet, three weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been a very full moon. My sweet gelding got scared from a pack of dogs and reared up (a first). I think he lost his balance and we fell over backwards (I never thought of bailing!) I broke my leg, hurt my seatbones and stretched a finger muscle. Surgery and weeks of wheelchair riding is definitely putting a damper on my horse life. I haven't even been to the barn yet, three weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it has been a very long winter , and all including the animals are a bit hpped up and ready for spring.So sorry you and so many got hurt, it does serve as a very good reminder to the rest of us to be wise, careful and safe , and barring all that , hope for good luck!

    ReplyDelete