A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Everyday is just a little bit better

Today was lovely.  I mean the perfect kind of day.  I got up, had some good coffee, got some work done that I needed to, updated the website a bit, did some more paper work, headed out to the barn, handled a few breedings, and had a friend stop over for a visit.  I mean, it doesn't get much better then that.

Ah, but those are just the big things.  One of those breedings I handled today was a very large draft mare (sorry, picture didn't come out due to dark).  Breeding horses is one of the BEST times to get kicked, and well... y'all know I'm a bit twitchy about that.  The mare is accepting the stallion, and so we moved them into their paddock for the night, but she stalled out half way through.  I was behind her with a lead rope, and gave her a nice thump on the rump to remind her that there's more to life then the stallion... like halter manners!  In tapping her with the end of the lead, I had to be right behind her... right in the "OH MY GOD HER LEGS ARE SO LONG" area.  Heh, and I didn't even notice.  I did my job, moved the mare, and of course got out of the way. 

When I got inside, I thought about it and gave myself a nice little pat on the back.

On the flip side, I'm not just JUMPING to climb back in the saddle yet.  The arena tilled out perfectly, the weather was lovely, and I was tired.  I wish I had a bit more go, but I figure that will come soon.  My dear friend Leah offered me the use of her delicate grey flower, Jaz, and I might just take her up on it.  Maybe tomorrow... maybe not. 

I did tell Jae that he must MAKE me get back on a horse by next week though.  I don't have to ride long, and I don't have to do anything big, but I will likely need a little bit of an outside push to get going.  It's like inertia.... not riding for almost a month makes it so easy to not ride for one more day.

On the upside, I think today was the first day I felt "normal" for most of the day.  No health issues at ALL except being a bit tired.  I could focus on what I worked on, I could think rationally, and I haven't been dizzy in days.  My face feels fine (a bit thick, but not painful) and my teeth don't feel like I have a wad of cotton in my mouth, so talking isn't something that ends up hurting later in the day.

I know that this probably doesn't seem like a huge thing to most people, just a typical day in the life of a working horse ranch.  And yet, to me, it feels like a big deal.  I feel like I'm coming back to me, and my "vicotry" of moving a horse around is as good as wining the triple crown.  The best part is that I didn't even notice until later, I just did what needed to be done.  That's a good feeling.

It's all about the little things.  Over coming my nervousness about getting kicked again will be accomplished not with a sudden change, but with little things like this getting more frequent.  In my mind, this is just step 1.

9 comments:

  1. You are doing great. Baby steps build confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on the inertia thing. I haven't ridden for at least a month and you are right that it just gets easier to blow it off. Not sure why, in my case, since I no longer have my biggest excuse for not riding.

    Sunday? Nice and easy? Friendly, as Mr. Fry says...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small steps one day at a time - and it does take time. The more you do (at your own pace) the better you'll feel. Each good experience will build the "good experiences" bank account back up again. That's what I had to do after being kicked myself the year before last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO glad you are doing better.

    I had my face stepped on by my yearling last year and it hurt like hell. I didn't go to the doctor but I did get cut, swollen lips, a loose tooth, and wiser around the young 'uns, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous to read! That's a great victory for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous to read! That's a great victory for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SO glad you are doing better.

    I had my face stepped on by my yearling last year and it hurt like hell. I didn't go to the doctor but I did get cut, swollen lips, a loose tooth, and wiser around the young 'uns, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing great. Baby steps build confidence.

    ReplyDelete