A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm getting very annoyed by this!

Every time I think I'm getting better, I have a little relapse.  Last Saturday, my Vertigo returned.  It wasn't as bad, I simply felt like I was on a boat in the ocean rather then my entire world spinning, but at the same time, it was more consistent.  That boat called my world kept rocking for about 8 hours straight.

So long as I lay still, and don't turn my head I'm fine.  I can't even sit at the computer for very long, because sitting up makes the world rock.  Even worse is the next day.  Evidently I was continuously compensating for the motion that wasn't really there.  Every last muscle in my body HURTS.  I then managed to pass out and sleep for about 14 hours straight through.

Interestingly, when my vertigo problems stopped was when I suddenly had a ton of pressure appear in my upper jaw.  I don't know if there's sinus, or maybe barometric pressure, or if there's some minor infection... I could make guesses all day, but the truth is, I don't know.  What I do know is that the doctors told me most likely 3 months of this (I'm just over 30 days) and possibly as much as 6 months!

I do have a bruise that is breaking out on the bone of my eye socket.  It's not on the side I was kicked either, but rather it's directly opposite the injury to the mouth.  My dentist actually told me to expect it, because there's a LOT of trauma in my head right now.  The bruise is working it's way up from the underside of the bone... or was that inside?  I can't recall, but it did show up on my radiographs.

The problem is, that I can't get anything done!  Normally, I have about 20 irons in the fire at any time, but lately, I can't manage to finish anything.  Like now, I had to stop tracking records of payments in order to lay back and relax.  While it seems weird, I can easily blog... just lean back, close my eyes, and type. Open my eyes long enough to correct the words underlined in red, and click on a few images and there's a blog.  I guess all those years of playing video games were useful... I did learn to type almost 90wpm by feel!

I did manage to get some mowing done though.  My pastures are still a bit weak from the lack of rain, and the weeds, of course, are growing better then everything else.  With recent rains the grass and clovers are going crazy, but the weeds are just too tall and thick.  So there's my, slathered in sun screen (because you don't get sun on a new scar!) with my little straw hat sitting on the tractor making circles in the pasture.  When I felt woozy (which happens before I get dizzy) I'd take a break, and go rest.  Pretty easy, and I'm learning to walk around with out looking at where I'm going.

The downside is, that I'm not yet ready to RIDE like this.  I want to ride so badly!  I can almost feel the rhythm of the muscles below me, the harmony of a good ride.  It's like a craving that's making me crazy!  I want to ride so badly, but I don't know what will happen if I lose my balance on the horse.  With the fear of falling under the horse being still rather strong, I find myself chickening out.  There's Doodles, and he's good, but of course he's decided recently that he's going to ignore anything but blatant bridle commands.  Not what I'm wanting.  There's Scorch, and he's amazing, but he's still a green stallion.... not my best choice (the green mostly).  There's Ash, but she's Ash.... and if she decides to take a dislike to me not acting like me.... who knows what will happen. And of course, there's Jaz, but what does he do?  Gets an owwie.  Grr!

And I don't have any more video to edit... nor any photos to add to the website.  I don't even know if I can manage to sit here long enough to DO that if I had the material.  Instead, I'm acting like an invalid, even though I feel fine much of the time.  Yet every time I get up to DO something.... it comes back.  Reading little letters on the monitor is easier with a head tilt, so I know that it's not my imagination.

I feel like an old dog with vestibular disease!

It's just so weird to go from feeling GREAT to feeling like a complete invalid.  And the change happens in mere moments.  I can usually get an idea of when it's about to happen though.  I feel funny in the head just before.  Not light headed, not a headache, but something.  It's like being exhausted - the eye heaviness, the desire to rest - with out the sleepy part.

I hate being broken.  I'm used to healing very quickly.  I'm used to being an active person.  This lengthy rest I need just sucks. I'm trying hard though, to be a good patient and do what the doctor ordered.  It still sucks.

11 comments:

  1. There is a decent anti-vertigo medicine - ask your doctor. Sounds like pressure on the inner ear - suspect sinus or tooth. Vertigo's the worst - I had a bad episode a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may also end up with some TMJ.

    As for the not healing quickly, well, welcome to Nita's and my world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just now catching up and reading of your injury. Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry. I've not experienced vertigo; it sounds scary. Riding would be scary. I hope you mend quickly so you can get back in the saddle. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you're not feeling well yet. It seemed like you were really doing well and getting better so quickly. I guess the body needs more time than the mind wants to give it. Take care of yourself and heal up. You've got the rest of your life, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you are still feeling poorly , as hard as it is you do need to let your body recover from this. I don't mean to presume here but is there a chance you have been pushing yourself too hard and that is why uyou are struggling again. By the way you write I suspect you are a move it or lose it kind of girl(and attitude I know all too well) and you might have been ignoring some warning signs of relapse thinking they would go away if you "walked it off?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem is that I feel just fine, unless I do something wrong (which could be as innocent as picking a horse's hooves, even though LAST time that wasn't a problem).

    I have tried to be good about not over doing it, but I have a few things going against me. Evidently being borderline diabetic and having a face injury do not go together =) It was hard to eat, but I have to eat on a some what regular schedule or I get... light headed. Add to that some brain bouncing, plus only 6 months ago I had a lovely concussion....

    Mostly I'm just annoyed. I hate being on "medical leave" but I hate being stupid more, so I do what is best. Sometimes that means things that I think I might maybe kinda sorta could do, I decide to not do just "in case".

    My main problem is that disorientation is something that even a little of is just so hard to deal with. It's not like a "little headache" that can be ignored.

    LOL...maybe I need to stop hurting my head for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I know it sucks, but the time will go by quickly, even though right now it doesn't seem to be doing that.
    I also have some delayed reactions to my hoof kick in the face that happened about 2 weeks after the injury. When I would drive I would sometimes get tunnel vision with fuzzy edges. At night was the worse, especially when headlights were shining towards me, so I had to give up on night driving for a few months altogether.

    Hang in there. This too shall pass.

    xoxo
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I know it sucks, but the time will go by quickly, even though right now it doesn't seem to be doing that.
    I also have some delayed reactions to my hoof kick in the face that happened about 2 weeks after the injury. When I would drive I would sometimes get tunnel vision with fuzzy edges. At night was the worse, especially when headlights were shining towards me, so I had to give up on night driving for a few months altogether.

    Hang in there. This too shall pass.

    xoxo
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you're not feeling well yet. It seemed like you were really doing well and getting better so quickly. I guess the body needs more time than the mind wants to give it. Take care of yourself and heal up. You've got the rest of your life, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you feel better soon :(

    ReplyDelete