A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lucky Number 13


I almost forgot to mention this because of all the excitement yesterday, but the thirteenth Sugarbush Draft Horse has arrived at Livin' Large Farms!

Sugarbush O's Livin Legacy, or Lego, was born on May 24th around 4:45am.  He is a big black colt with a lacey blanket on his hips.  He has some big shoes to fill though, as he will be the second stallion in the Sugarbush breed.

He is a son of Sugarbush Harley's Classic O - that big blanket stallion I keep posting pictures of - and out of Sugarbush O Rosamunde, a mare from Everett Smith's program.  He's a full brother to Sugarbush Katydid (Katy) and SHC O Sweet Surprise (Sweetie).  So while he's not opening up the gene pool a lot, he IS keeping it alive!

Now, I've only seen pictures of him so far, but he sure looks like a cutie!  His neck looks short in that picture, but he's searching for the milk bar and looking away.  His forelegs look nice and well tied in, but his hinds are still all folded up.  I'm giving him a few days before I start dissecting his conformation, or at least trying to.

But check out that lovely shoulder and length of back!  I can't help but drool over that every time I see it.  I really think this kid's got the potential.  And while I adore O, and think he's just lovely, I can't wait to get a couple of breedings to this guy!

And yes, he has a pattern.  If you check out under his tail, you will see a white dot.  Well, that dot makes me think that Lego is very highly supressed.  His lace covers a rather nice sized area on his hiney, but there's very little white showing through.  If I had to guess, I'd say that he's EE, or homozygous for black.  Both of his parents are heterozygous though, so until he's color tested, or produces a red foal, I can't be positive.

What I did notice, is that he has almost no face or leg markings.  This means that HE won't have as much pattern, but his offspring could have really honking huge polka dots.  You know how much we all love those big dots on the appy colored horses?  Well, he'll be a good one to throw them.

I mean, he only has a small white dot on his forehead!  And isn't that a cute face?

Needless to say, the Sugarbush community is very excited over this.  He's just what we ordered from the cross!  I can't wait to see how he grows up, and what Heather C of Livin Large Farms does with him, but I'm thrilled to know that we're one step closer to keeping the breed alive!

Having thrown my heart into this breed, I'm just so thrilled to see the revival happening.  I stumbled upon these horses, and have found that they really are something different from what I expected.  I mean, a draft sized horse, with light horse athleticism, and the best of both in temperament?

We're still working to spread the word about the Sugarbush Draft Horses, but it seems that every day more people are hearing about them and telling their friends.  When I started counting horses a few years ago, in the middle of the horrible economy, I really was worried that we'd lose this breed.  Now I feel as if we have a future, and these horses will be here for the next generation.


9 comments:

  1. It sure will be interesting to watch him grow.You know the line about if you like him at 3 days, and 3 weeks , you will like him at 3 years and forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 monhths needs to be in there somewhere too

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks very nice, and it sounds like he has great promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see updated pictures of him, let alone to see him in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 monhths needs to be in there somewhere too

    ReplyDelete