A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Epilogue for a bad week

Well, things are getting back to normal.  Cayenne loves me again, and nickers at me like I'm momma.  Hung out with some good friends this morning, had some horsey time, and pretty much did my normal Saturday thing.  Was supposed to show Boo today, but they didn't show up.  Waited at the barn until almost 2, for a 12:30 appointment, then gave up.  Oddly, I'm happy about that.  Boo is now off the market.

Bad news though.  It's looking like there's nothing I can do to get Lina.  A week ago, I had passed out her owner's name, because Lina's old team mate was up for sale.  Told all my people here, who passed it along.  It looks like one of those leads may have worked out, and worked against me.  I'm not sure, but I got a strange call today.

Evidently a friend of mine who rides here passed the number on to her coworker.  The coworker called, and wants to buy the horse, and has money in hand.  She called back my friend to ask who I was (you know how the whole grape vine thing works) and as the story goes, I am a horrible person, and did something bad.  I'm not sure what, but spreading lies was a part of it.  While I'm not happy about any of this, I tried very hard to stick to the facts.  I suppose that saying "she's talking bad about me" is just a normal defense though. Fact is though, it sounds like her friend really wants to buy the horse, and none of us can say that Lina is bad with out telling lies, and I have never seen the other mare.  I'm not sure who she was looking at, but my gut says it's Lina.  her coworker isn't even one of the people who hangs out here, so I will probably never see her again if this happens.


But, like with all things, there's light at the end of the tunnel.  Am I upset, well SURE!  What kind of person would I be if I wasn't?  A horse is hurt, a horse I adore is gone with nothing I can do to get her back.   But light there is.

Cayenne is doing pretty well.  Massage and stall rest have helped her tons.  We did some flexing stuff, and she's moving around much better, but still not good.  I'm going to find a chiro out here, and get her adjusted soon I think.  Will know more after the vet checks on her.

And I have one of my students coming out to help ME out.  She's going to handle some things that my recent fear issues have prevented me from doing, and give me an extra set of hands in exchange for learning how to do all of this.  Looks like she's brave enough to get Jinx finished up, and THAT will be my next lesson horse.  Sweetie is ready to back now too, and in about a year she will be ready.  In a few months, Cayenne will be sound again, and just work in the lesson string as well.  Not a bad little set of ponies I'll have... now I just need more students!

And I've had an epiphany.  I'm scared to canter, or do crazy things.  Well, I fixed that the first time by trusting my darling mare Ash.  I'm going to fix that again by trusting her.  Both of us are older now, but we're still a team.  A few rides each week on her at the canter, and maybe even a small jump (more of a step but you get the idea) and who knows where this will go!

Still have to sit down and cull the herd hard though.  I am so done with light horses.  Drafts are the "next best thing" in my mind, so I'm throwing my all into a pure Sugarbush Herd.  If you know anything about the breed, you'll know that's not possible... yet.  This means that I will be breeding, keeping, and selling the previous generation for a while, but I think that may work out really well for my buyers.  Why buy a baby, when I'll have really nice grown, riding, gentle, lovely horses to tempt you with!

And... to top it all off.....

It's RAINING!

I've needed the rain so badly.  My pastures are nothing but dust and weeds.  It's not enough rain, but it's something, and I'm thankful for anything I can get.

And I had a thought.  I'm considering starting a second blog to discuss fear issues with horses.  I won't have time to write it all, but I'd LOVE to have a place for all of us to get it out there and talk through it.  A support group type of thing.  Where y'all can post comments with questions, and have that featured the next time to see if any one has advice for you.    Any interest?

9 comments:

  1. Hi, I've been reading your blog for some time now,and I have to say that I love it. I've worked with horses since I was 9 and am now 18, but when I was 12 I was in a horrible accident, which I have perminent back damage from, and it was my first time at a canter to boot. So where I'm going with this is that 6 years later, I still haven't cantered. I did a few steps once but ended up having an emotional breakdown in the midst of it. So you aren't the only one going through this. I'm still trying to face my fears with riding. Too bad you live so damn far away from me. lol
    , Rebekka, Your Blog Reader from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way, the blog about fears sounds like a great idea.
    ,Rebekka

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can count me in on your second blog idea. Sometimes we can strengthen our fears (oddly enough) by talking about them, but sometimes there can be just enough relief in talking about them that it creates a little breathing room to try facing them again.

    Just found your blog, and I'll be back to catch up.

    Muddy K, http://afearsomebeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALways a good idea to shine a light on our fears ,sounds like a great idea. As for the rest , sounds like you have a good plan in place and it should come together well over time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a plan in all respects. It may have been a hard week, but sometimes these hard times help us reach places, and decisions, we might not otherwise have reached.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 2 cents: Don't start another blog. Just have posts about fear be a regular feature here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea....How about a "Fear Friday" lol! :D

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think talking about fear issues is a great idea no matter where you do it. There are so many horse lovers that deal with this and talking about it, getting advice etc helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think talking about fear issues is a great idea no matter where you do it. There are so many horse lovers that deal with this and talking about it, getting advice etc helps!

    ReplyDelete