A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

What IS that smell? Oh... I think it's me.

Oh my, it has been a wonderful, but long day today.  I didn't even catch what the temperature was out there, but it got nice and warm.

Started off with crawling out of bed, and while waiting for the coffee to brew, Leah texted me saying she was at the barn.  Got coffee, headed to visit, and was surprised with breakfast burritos!  Thanks Leah!

So then, Amy and her friend (I'm scared to try to spell her name) showed up.  Did some riding, with Amy working out Boo and Doodles for me, and her friend riding Ash.  I think she did very well, and it's always wonderful to get back on a horse after such a long time away.  And while we did that, Leah rode too.  Lots of great people, and lots of riding time, and me running around in mismatched clothes and plastic shoes.  Ahh, the joys of the weekend.

So then, as Leah's about to leave, she asked me if I had missed my chance to get feed.  AHHH!  Feed store closes in 20 minutes, and I don't have enough grain for the weekend!  AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, rushed out, and made it with 5 minutes to spare.  A half ton of grain loaded up (should last almost a week) and I'm hooked up for the weekend.  Got back, and even had time to sit down and drink a gatoraid.  Well, or so I thought.  Got the drink, sat down, and then checked the clock.

Crap, Farrier should be here.

Peeked my head out the back door, and there's his truck.  *sigh*  I can drink and rest in the barn as well as the house, right?  So what if there's no AC.

So, half a herd of horses later, and some good gossip with the farrier, and guess who shows up again?  Yep... LEAH!  And she was in one hell of a nice ride too.  She brought beer by, which does me no good as I am not the biggest beer fan, but the guys loved it!

By this point, my plastic slop on shoes are seeming like a bad idea, and I'm wondering when they will make true summer proof deodorant!

Finished up with the trims/shoes, and then fed a whole whack of ponies, and slipped inside.  I have to say, I am sitting on my butt for a bit before I hit the shower!  I'm actually thinking that once I get clean, I might not be able to stay awake that much longer.

I suppose I should think about eating something.  That breakfast burrito is long gone by now.

On the upside, I'm ready to go for tomorrow, and I have a whole bunch of horses ready to get into training.  With Amy helping me out, I think I'm gonna be able to get some of my younger drafts started up and put into the lesson string (eventually that is).  I will have a full draft barn one day (well, at least mostly, because I do have a few odd balls I'm keeping).  Odd how things work out though.  I thought I was going to have a draft lesson horse, and then didn't, but now it looks like things are actually working out for the best.  While I may not be totally conquering my fears, I have friends all around me that are helping me work around them and stay ahead.

I may stink, but I'm a very happy girl.  I love my life. 

12 comments:

  1. that is just the smell of hard work. And well plastic shoes ,that could be hoof rot! Glad you had a productive day sounds like things are coming up roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez you hardly have time to be scared! Glad it was a good, busy day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always a good feeling to have a day of work done well...sounds like fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is really great to hear. It's amazing what a difference a day makes, (or something like that) Thng seem to be moving in the right direction now. I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound pretty content - friends really do make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ready to make a fool out of myself one more time today ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastyk VoyagerJune 26, 2011 at 7:58 AM

    Sounds like you're so busy, how can you even think about fear?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how we love that smell! Except for the foot funk... Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, sadly, working with horses all day long is a bit of a reminder about my fears. I have been so blessed to have friends that are willing to pick up my slack, and offer a hand though, which means that I don't HAVE to do that which terrifies me. Instead, I can do what I am comfortable with, have tons of exposure to the horses, and slowly work my way back into some semblance of confidence.

    I don't expect I will ever be as brave as I once was, but I hope to be brave enough to do the things I love.

    And with all the barn time, it is rather numbing to my fear issues. Still doesn't mean I'm ready to climb on a green horse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a perfect day. I'm with ya on the deodorant thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always nice to know you're not the only one that has an eleventh hour spaz attack over the feed (I've done it too). Too bad you don't live in the South, we southern gals NEVER sweat - we glow. Yeah right *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laughing Orca RanchJune 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM

    Sounds like non-stop action at your place. Ya know, it's weird that my injuries with current horse occurred on the ground and not in the saddle, yet I am gripped by fear at the thought of getting back in the saddle again.
    I think it stems from everything I've been told and read, that if a horse doesn't respect you on the ground, then it won't respect you in the saddle either.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete