A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, October 21, 2011

I think it's the weather (Ponies being BAD)

So, Daltrey has a new trick.  I put grain in the feeder in his stall every morning and evening.  The idea is that he should eat it out of the feeder, right?  Not Daltrey!  He's decided that it's way more fun to sling it all over the ground, and THEN eat it.

*Sigh*

I've tried wetting it, so he can't fling it.  I've tried a brick that he has to work around.  I've tried adding salt, adding alfalfa cubes, and putting some sweet molasses on it.  None of that matters.  Daltrey won't even try to eat until it's on the ground.

Well, ok.  This evening, he's eating from a bucket.  He can't fling ALL of it from a bucket.

And then there's the mares!  Oh my word, they are all in heat.  The worst of the lot today was Lady!  She is in rare form this time, calling to the boys, and just distracted completely.  Oh sure, she'll do what I ask of her, for exactly 3 seconds before her mind is OUT the window again, and she's screaming at some stallion.  Normally Lady is not like this.  I've never really noticed her heat cycles before, unless I walk her RIGHT in front of a stud.

But she's not the only one!  The fillies (2 year olds) are all squabbling.  Who gets to stand at the fence closest to the stallions?  Never mind that there's a 14 foot alley between them, they just want to be close!  And the pregnant girls are all but rolling their eyes at them.  It's amusing to watch.

Moon on the other hand, has decided that she is no longer the lowest horse in the pasture.  Arden tried to pick a fight, and Moon finally stood up for herself.  She has a few scrapes from them kicking at each other, but for the most part, it was no big deal.  Arden realized that Moon has longer legs, and was not about to back down, so Arden gave up.  Not long after, Moon was grazing pleasantly with a few of the middle of the herd girls.  It looks like she's been accepted now, and is very happy about it.


And I'm almost done for the day, and it's only 1pm!  I need to wander around on Sweetie, and put some time on Poko and Midnight, but that's all easy work.  It's a lovely 68 degrees, sunny, with a light breeze - so long sleeve weather for me - and I'm going to have a wonderful day with my horses!  Whether they like it or not. 

And if my luck holds, it will rain cats and dogs all weekend long.  It's in the forecast, and I really really want to get rained out!

1 comment:

  1. I always fed Daltrey from a pan stuck in the middle of a tire so it would take more work to flip it. I could bring it.

    ReplyDelete