A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Getting back to Normal

So, losing Anvil has hit me pretty hard.  There's a few reasons.  First, and most obviously, I loved him. Secondly, I have had just too many deaths this year.  Hex, followed shortly by Rowdy.  2 of my cats have gone "missing" (I know, they were outside cats, and that happens, but still) and now this.  And thirdly, because it was so unexpected.

Unfortunately, it's much easier to accept the loss of a 17 year old dog (Hobbes) or a 14 year old Rottweiler with strange medical issues (Calvin) or even my almost 10 year old Rottie mix who had been on serious levels of medication that we knew would kill her early (Rowdy).  Having a dog that is playing one day, and dieing the next is just so hard to accept.

Anvil was never a "do much" dog.  I always called him my sofa dog.  He made sure the sofa didn't move!  But, since he's been gone, it's the strangest things that just get to me.  Hearing the dogs howl in chorus when I come home, but not having his voice in the mix.  Walking into the bathroom, and not having him look up from the bathtub (he did love laying in the tub!).  Or even feeding the pack, and having to remind myself that we need one less bowl.

The hardest thing has been realizing that I only have 4 dogs now.  I've always had a pack, and a pretty big one.  Yeah, I wanted to slim down, but not like THIS.  I was hoping that old age would be the cause of death.  So, instead I cope. 

My friends have been a boon though.  Saturday they all arrived for pony time, and made sure it was FUN.  Ojo, the young lady who owns Melody, celebrated her birthday on Saturday.  She rode Boo, and I must say she rode very well (Since Mel is still on medical leave).  Her father rode Midnight.  I was so proud of Midnight for doing her duty.  She packed him around behind Boo, and even carried him for a few very smooth trot steps.  Such a good girl!

And then, when she was between riders, I climbed on, and rode around.  I found myself smiling, and actually enjoying myself.

Kris worked with Voodoo, and they both did very well.  Nothing overly complicated, just trying out a new bridle, and getting back into the swing of things. 

And Rachel managed to finally keep her husband off Moon long enough for HER to get a ride in.

Moon trucked along carrying a rider for almost 20 minutes before she showed the least sign of fatigue.  At which point of course, she was done, and praised to the hilt.

I have to say though, that I find pictures of her kinda amusing (Moon that is).  Her black areas on her top line make it look like that horse's hip is only 3 inches deep, and like her hip doesn't match her fore hand.  Oddly enough, in person, I was shocked at how nicely she's sized for Rachel (Who's like a million feet tall, and all legs).

Sunday, I decided to hop on Sweetie again.  This time I didn't do any warm up.  I just pulled her out of the pasture, tacked her up, and climbed on.  No ground person, no baby sitting... just riding.  It was Sweetie's first time to do this ever.  She did really well too!  Ok, so I learned that she will walk, stop, and turn left with out a problem, but back is confusing, and right hand turns are simply impossible.  Poor Sweetie is very left hoofed it seems.

But not a big deal at all.  In the past, she'd been using a ground person to give her the reassurance of what that command meant.  With no visual aid, she was baffled.  Her default answer:  stop and stand.  Can't complain about that at ALL!

So that brightened me up a bit.  It was a good weekend all around.  Moose is still acting like velcro, and won't leave my side.  Suzie is better, but is now needing extra attention (she was depressed for a few days there) and Hobo and Sharra are, well, Hobo and Sharra.

But, the best thing to cheer me up is ....

Well, do any of you remember this picture?
That's the little American Cream Draft colt that will be used in the future to help revive 2 rare draft breeds (the ACD, and the SDH).  Well, on Friday, I got this"
My how he has grown!  He also got on a trailer Friday afternoon, to begin his journey to Texas!  I am expecting him mid week, and yes, there will be a lot of pictures of him.

This little man "should" be in his gangly fugly awkward stage, but even so, he's still rather attractive.  We're all so excited to have him here, and to start working with him.

I will begin getting back into my discussion of tack again in the next couple of days, and I promise that I'll over load you all with pictures once Red, the ACD colt, arrives.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to meeting Red! I think a major primping & grooming session is in order. Maybe he and Daltrey can be buddies.

    ReplyDelete