A Note about Sugarbush Draft Horses

I see it over and over again, and no matter how many times it's said, it's still wrong. "Sugarbush Drafts are just an Appaloosa Draft Cross". Uh.... no. The Sugarbush Draft Horse was a breed created many years ago in Ohio. While the initial cross was made using Percherons to Appaloosas, in the many generations following, the breed has been solidified into a consistent type. Saying these horses are "just" a draft cross makes as much sense as saying that AQHA horses are "just" a Thoroughbred cross, American Cream Drafts are "just" a dilute Belgian, or that Morgans are "just" a grade.

Friday, November 4, 2011

It didn't work.

Yesterday, the test results came back.  There was no good news.

Anvil's PCV went from 20 to 14 in less then 12 hours.  He was still losing his red blood cells, and it was speeding up.

I decided to have him humanely euthanized.  My options were to try strange and creative things that wouldn't work, let nature take it's course and wait for him to die slowly, or give him the respect he deserved.  There was no possible positive outcome.  Even a million dollars and the best vets in the world wouldn't have been able to help him. 

I admit, I'm devastated.  We thought we were seeing improvement.  We had hope, right up until the test results came back.  Of course, in the time we waited for the results, Anvil was beginning to decline, and rapidly.

So now my baby boy is not suffering, but I am.  That's part of pet ownership.  We enjoy their lives so much because they are so brief.  They give us so much love in the little time they have.  I will always remember the good times I had with him, and treasure them.  

17 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss - but you did what you could and then gave him peace when it was time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. It is the hardest decision to make. I hope you have some peace because you did the right thing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, I will pray for you, it must be hard.
    <3
    Neighgirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to read this. Thoughts and prayers are with all y'all. You did a beautiful tribute to Anvil. And thanks for sharing him with us, and this incredibly hard lesson. I never knew that onions were so toxic to dogs, and will be extremely careful from here on out with them in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to have loved and lost, then never loved at all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry , words cannot or will not ease your pain, or heal your heart, time and love will so sending you virtual hugs , real love from a fellow animal lover and steward.And prayers for peace in your heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. :( My heart breaks for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart just breaks - I'm so sorry . . .
    (((((((HUG))))))))
    I weep with you . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry. Our animals truly become family members (a good thing) which makes it doubly hard to lose one (a bad thing). I guess it's a good thing to hurt when we lose one, because it shows we truly loved them. You gave him a good life and it sounds like it was mutual.
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have spoken what is in all pet owner's hearts at a time like this with such finesse. Bravo to a brave woman. Hugs to you.
    I am so sorry to hear that things didn't turn around. I feel sad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry.
    If it eases your heart even in a teeny way, telling Anvil's story may have saved another dogs life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laughing Orca RanchNovember 5, 2011 at 11:23 PM

    I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ((((hugs))))
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete